Would Leicester winning the title be the biggest surprise in football history?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I mean 5000-1 before the season started is pretty long odds & they are looking increasing likely to actually pull this off. I'm struggling to think of what else would compare? Perhaps even the biggest surprise in sporting history as well???
user382
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty much.
moggis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it certainly would.

Unlikely to ever be beaten to boot.

( Yes indeed,sporting history as well)

What I want to know is who will play Vardy,Mahrez and Ranieri in the Hollywood movie and how exactly will they change the story ie **** it up?
user73867
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Certainly from how set the top 4 were looking just a few years ago.

If you told me Leicester were going to win the league, I would be so surprised. Small teams have won the FA cup from time to time and that's been great, but to win it after playing the best football across 40 games would truly be immense.
M14B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In the premier league history, definitely.

So far

ManU
ManCity
Arsenal
Chelsea
Blackburn Rovers
Leicester

(No Liverpool or Spurs)
moggis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by M14B)
In the premier league history, definitely.

So far

ManU
ManCity
Arsenal
Chelsea
Blackburn Rovers
Leicester

(No Liverpool or Spurs)

Thanks for this. I'm such a forgetful git nowadays that I'd thought Spurs won it in 95.

But of course I was thinking of Blackburn.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it would.

In 1992/93 something like this looked like happening, in the first season of the Premier League, when Norwich who were tipped for relegation, had an amazing season out of nowhere. When they were eight points clear just before Christmas everybody was going wtf but then they went on a slump and everyone thought business as usual. Until they regrouped and went back to the top at the end of March!

They then lost 3-0 at home to United, who went on to win the title, and then Spurs beat them 5-1 and that knocked the wheels off the bandwagon.

Actually....looking at Norwich's form now, does it remind you a bit of how Leicester started this time last year :holmes:
username402722
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sunderland when a second division team won the FA Cup in 1973, and you could argue Wigan's win a few years ago were surprises. In the League it would be the biggest surprise though.
MouseyBrown
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Think of the other major shocks: Greece winning the Euros, say, Liverpool winning the Champs League, Atletico winning La Liga. Leicester grinding out a league win is definitely better than any of those.

Maybe the only one that really comes close is Notts Forest winning the old European Cup twice, but I don't know how suprising that actually was at the time.
LovableScouse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Liverpool >
moggis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MouseyBrown)
Think of the other major shocks: Greece winning the Euros, say, Liverpool winning the Champs League, Atletico winning La Liga. Leicester grinding out a league win is definitely better than any of those.

Maybe the only one that really comes close is Notts Forest winning the old European Cup twice, but I don't know how suprising that actually was at the time.

As regards Nottm Forests achievement then certainly if we were to look at the odds of them winning the European Cup (within say 5 years )when Clough took over then I think fair odds would have been as high as 1000-1 as they were struggling near the bottom of the second division.

So yes that's a good spot mate.

(Their first match with Clough in charge was an FA cup 3rd round replay at Spurs. Forest won 1-0)
richpanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would actually say Chelsea winning the CL was much harder than Liverpool doing it... not to derail the thread.

Remember this is the equivalent of someone saying to you in February this year that Aston Villa will win the league next season (this may a slightly bad analogy, the have much more of a negative team vibe)
999tigger
Report 5 years ago
Nottingham Forest and the European Cup twice. Leicester is definitely the best one since then.
moggis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by richpanda)
I would actually say Chelsea winning the CL was much harder than Liverpool doing it... not to derail the thread.

Remember this is the equivalent of someone saying to you in February this year that Aston Villa will win the league next season (this may a slightly bad analogy, the have much more of a negative team vibe)
Why was Chelseas feat harder?

I'm assuming of course you're referring to the (more) recent wins.edit or Liverpools more recent win I should say,ha.
moggis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Nottingham Forest and the European Cup twice. Leicester is definitely the best one since then.
So you're saying the odds of Forest winning the European Cup twice from 1975 onwards was greater than 5000-1?

(And don't forget that just because the bookies odds were 5000-1 it doesn't mean that that was the true price.

I know I love market prices but the bookies tend to offer far less than the true odds on big outsiders as they know that some football fans will bet on any odds just to show how much they love their team etc)
999tigger
Report 5 years ago
hard to compare hen and now, but I think its on a par, considering they were nowhere. If they win it, then its on merit and I hope they do. A lot of the big players though have been shambolic this year for other reasons. You couldnt have predicted the meltdown in some clubs.
moggis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
hard to compare hen and now, but I think its on a par, considering they were nowhere. If they win it, then its on merit and I hope they do. A lot of the big players though have been shambolic this year for other reasons. You couldnt have predicted the meltdown in some clubs.

Fine.But of course there are certain things that are easy to compare;

The European Cup only had 5 two leg knock out rounds and the top teams weren't seeded.
Edit no 4 two leg rounds I believe and the final

It was much more common for smaller clubs to do well in the first division.

Of course that still left the huge main obstacle -the mighty Liverpool.
richpanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by moggis)
Why was Chelseas feat harder?

I'm assuming of course you're referring to the (more) recent wins.edit or Liverpools more recent win I should say,ha.
Barcelona at the Nou Camp, down to 10 men with Messi about to take a penalty. You must admit at that moment everyone pretty much thought it was over, I'm not even a Chelsea fan.
moggis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by richpanda)
Barcelona at the Nou Camp, down to 10 men with Messi about to take a penalty. You must admit at that moment everyone pretty much thought it was over, I'm not even a Chelsea fan.
Ah right.

So you're not comparing like with like then.

You're saying Chelseas feat was harder because you are including a specific incident in your assessment after the event.

It's fairer and more usual to compare the situations before a ball was kicked.

I'm sure Liverpools odds before the first round were greater than Chelseas.

In fact I think :iverpool may have been 25-1 but don't quote me on that
moggis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by moggis)
Ah right.

So you're not comparing like with like then.

You're saying Chelseas feat was harder because you are including a specific incident in your assessment after the event.

It's fairer and more usual to compare the situations before a ball was kicked.

I'm sure Liverpools odds before the first round were greater than Chelseas.

In fact I think :iverpool may have been 25-1 but don't quote me on that
Ok sorry guys.

I was very slow on the uptake.

You are of course referring to Liverpool coming back from 3 -0 down at half time,lol.

I thought the person who said Liverpool was having a bit of a joke.

Right,well so we are including ANY sporting occurrence that has ever happened at all in any sport in any game?

Theres a challenge!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (65)
18.9%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.83%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.94%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.2%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.93%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.26%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.78%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.49%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.33%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.74%

Watched Threads