Would Leicester winning the title be the biggest surprise in football history?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Copperknickers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by moggis)
Well,funnily enough,I don't think Leicester failing to win it now need tarnish the movie.

Especially if they lost it in the last few minutes at Chelsea in the last game.

The problem with the movie script as it stands is that Leicester are winning it too easily!

That just won't get bums on seats. No sir.They need to either lose it at the death preferably by one of their players telling the ref that the goal he's just scored was in fact handball and should be disallowed or ,if they do win it,they should go on a mini collapse allowing Spurs and Arsenal to catch up before winning gloriously at Chelsea.

Of course there will be a boy with terminal cancer,one of the players will reunite with the father that left him and his mother as a toddler ,one of the fans will be caring for someone and another will be someone with a disability who finds love with a fellow 'Leicester' fan.

Anyway for the sake of the movie we really really need the mackems to get a result this weekend.
There's only one way that movie's going to end I'm afraid.
youreanutter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by stefano865)
Pretty much.
TAKE MY WORD THEY WILL NOT WIN THE LEAGUE IM 100% CERTAIN ARSENAL WIN THERE GAME IN HAnd they are 8 points off last 3 games of the season they will take max 4 points so arseanal will win all there mediocre games minus city im telling u ARSENAL OR TOTTENHAM WILL WIN MARK MY WORDS THIS IS ME TELLING U ALL NOW FREYA
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Diego Costa)
Not really. It's only since La Liga overtook the Prem a few years ago. The examples you give don't prove anything.
It has always been true. If you do a list of the genuinely greatest players of all time, how many of them played in England? Most of them played in Italy or Spain but they never came to English clubs. It's not just a recent thing.

Maradona
Van Basten
Ronaldo (Brazilian)
Ronaldhino
Matthaus
Batistuta
Figo
Zidane
Kaka
Baggio
Del Piero
Messi
Rivaldo
Xavi
Iniesta

The ones who did play in England who were in that calibre (excluding players who grew up at English clubs like Giggs, Scholes etc):

Cristiano Ronaldo
Bergkamp
Henry
Suarez

When they came they were not the superstars they would go on to be: CR7 was young, Bergkamp and Henry were also quite young but came to England after failed or at least indifferent spells in Italy. Suarez had done well but in the Dutch league so there were questions.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Shout out to Rostov. A point clear of CSKA at the top of the Russian league, after finishing 14th out of 16 last season.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't understand why Leicester's performance this season is a surprise to people. Last season they dramatically turned around their performances and were showing top four form in the last twelve matches of the season starting in March, being beaten only by Manchester City, Chelsea and Spurs, and drawing two matches - 23 points out of 36.
Baz1000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by youreanutter)
TAKE MY WORD THEY WILL NOT WIN THE LEAGUE IM 100% CERTAIN ARSENAL WIN THERE GAME IN HAnd they are 8 points off last 3 games of the season they will take max 4 points so arseanal will win all there mediocre games minus city im telling u ARSENAL OR TOTTENHAM WILL WIN MARK MY WORDS THIS IS ME TELLING U ALL NOW FREYA
so that's why youreanutter............
Baz1000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by moggis)
Well,funnily enough,I don't think Leicester failing to win it now need tarnish the movie.

Especially if they lost it in the last few minutes at Chelsea in the last game.

The problem with the movie script as it stands is that Leicester are winning it too easily!

That just won't get bums on seats. No sir.They need to either lose it at the death preferably by one of their players telling the ref that the goal he's just scored was in fact handball and should be disallowed or ,if they do win it,they should go on a mini collapse allowing Spurs and Arsenal to catch up before winning gloriously at Chelsea.

Of course there will be a boy with terminal cancer,one of the players will reunite with the father that left him and his mother as a toddler ,one of the fans will be caring for someone and another will be someone with a disability who finds love with a fellow 'Leicester' fan.

Except the movie wont necessarily be about Leicester but about a team winning something at huge odds .Probably American.

Anyway for the sake of the movie we really really need the mackems to get a result this weekend.
Agreed mate. They have to get a result this weekend.
difeo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I don't understand why Leicester's performance this season is a surprise to people. Last season they dramatically turned around their performances and were showing top four form in the last twelve matches of the season starting in March, being beaten only by Manchester City, Chelsea and Spurs, and drawing two matches - 23 points out of 36.
You dont understand why 4th place form over 2 months (following 6 months of ****) turning into runaway leaders form over a whole season is surprising?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
You dont understand why 4th place form over 2 months (following 6 months of ****) turning into runaway leaders form over a whole season is surprising?
It is merely successful development.
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which very rarely happens especially in this day and age where the top clubs are spending millions and million whereas the likes of Mahrez only cost Leicester £400k. People have every reason to be suprised
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
People have every reason to be suprised
People are too ready to buy into the news media's myth-building: the top four, celebrity managers, money equals quality, repeated and constantly-wrong transfer rumours.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wigan 2012, West Ham 07 and Portsmouth 06 all had similar runs of form to avoid relegation. None came remotely close to the title the following season. It would've been very surprising if they did because 2 months of form isn't long enough to prove anything.
Four Queue
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Wigan 2012, West Ham 07 and Portsmouth 06 all had similar runs of form to avoid relegation. None came remotely close to the title the following season. It would've been very surprising if they did because 2 months of form isn't long enough to prove anything.
You can add Sunderland 2014 to that list aswell.

Anyone who says what Leicester have done isn't a surprise is a downright liar.
IamJacksContempt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Greatest upset in sporting history?

LOL
IamJacksContempt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Manchester United)
One of the main reasons the gap is narrower is because the top English clubs cannot attract the best talent in the world at the moment, despite their large funds. No money will attract Bale, Neymar etc. Therefore the top clubs have to settle for players in the class below (Depay, Sterling, Pedro, Sanchez etc),
Depay and Sterling a "class below" Neymar and Bale hahaha ****ing hell,

Why are you even allowed to post in this forum?
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What will be s bigger suprise.

LEI winning the league or Man city winning the Champions League?
SmashConcept
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Anyone who follows football, or any sport really, should know that in a one off match anyone can win and it wouldn't be incredibly unbelievable. Park the bus, hope the opponents aren't in top form, get a bit of luck for a goal. Entire seasons don't work like that.
You don't even have to follow sports to know that. Lower sample sizes resulting in higher variance is trivial statistics, and one game is the lowest sample size you can get in football.
ULTRALIGHT BEAM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Champion league final 2017: Barcelona vs Leicester. Trust mi daddy
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)

Well, the latter won't happen, so...
moggis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)

Man City winning the Champions league.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (52)
23.85%
Unhappy (58)
26.61%
Conflicted (108)
49.54%

Watched Threads