Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

I've just got onto what is a pretty competitive grad scheme in finance - got through 4 rounds of interviews + an assessment centre and they're going to send through the contract to sign before they request references.

I've been getting those in order and found my A-level certificates, and I actually got one grade lower than I thought (ABB instead of AAB). Obviously this is gonna look like I've lied to get onto the grad scheme, but it's been ~8 years since I did A-levels, I've got a BSc and 2 MSc's since then, and I've genuinely lived my life thinking I got the results I put on my CV. Honestly, if I'd known what I actually got I wouldn't have even applied to this because it's below the minimum requirements and I don't know if educational achievements since then would mitigate that.

My question is - do I make them aware? I don't have much tolerance for dishonesty, but this is a cracking grad scheme and I really don't want to tank it if they aren't going to ask for A-level certificates. I've come 1st in the class for both undergrad and postgrad since then at world-class unis, so I know I'm just as capable of doing the job as any other applicant, but at the same time I'm equally not keen to get a job on the back of an incorrect application.

What do you guys think? Any advice/opinions welcome.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If they investigate you they will find out.

Its a pesonal choice, but if it was me I would contact the person who gave you the job and tell them. Its their discretion and ofc you have amazing results after to protect you. Its still true though if there were min A levels then you wouldnt meet that criteria without presenting inaccurate information. You have also beaten other applicants who presumably met the criteria. If they found out later they could sack you straight away.

Its in their discretion. Your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If they investigate you they will find out.

Its a pesonal choice, but if it was me I would contact the person who gave you the job and tell them. Its their discretion and ofc you have amazing results after to protect you. Its still true though if there were min A levels then you wouldnt meet that criteria without presenting inaccurate information. You have also beaten other applicants who presumably met the criteria. If they found out later they could sack you straight away.

Its in their discretion. Your choice.
    I think I probably should tell them - at this point there's been no deliberate deception but I suppose it's a lie by omission if I don't say anything now I've realised the mistake. And like you said, they could sack me if they find out down the line and that'd probably be even worse. Thanks for replying.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by toastplate)
    I think I probably should tell them - at this point there's been no deliberate deception but I suppose it's a lie by omission if I don't say anything now I've realised the mistake. And like you said, they could sack me if they find out down the line and that'd probably be even worse. Thanks for replying.
    Its not that they could sack you but it could be very bad for your career.

You need to be ready to fall on your sword and play up you fully appreciate whats happened and have told them as soon as possible. I cnat remember my results so fully understand and dont know where half my certs are. You must have built up some rapport with someone there.

Youve done amazing to get the job, but if I was the person who came second I wouldnt be happy. Early disclosure is your best chance imo and you dont wnat the guilt. Be very careful how you make your case, dont make a meal of it imo just state the facts.

I doubt they will want to interview again and you have done three degrees since. I'd disclose if it was me. let me know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its not that they could sack you but it could be very bad for your career.

You need to be ready to fall on your sword and play up you fully appreciate whats happened and have told them as soon as possible. I cnat remember my results so fully understand and dont know where half my certs are. You must have built up some rapport with someone there.

Youve done amazing to get the job, but if I was the person who came second I wouldnt be happy. Early disclosure is your best chance imo and you dont wnat the guilt. Be very careful how you make your case, dont make a meal of it imo just state the facts.

I doubt they will want to interview again and you have done three degrees since. I'd disclose if it was me. let me know how it goes.
    I let them know, had an entire emotional speech prepared and everything. 2 lines in, the HR rep said "don't worry about it". Thanks for all your advice, it was definitely the right thing to do!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by toastplate)
    I let them know, had an entire emotional speech prepared and everything. 2 lines in, the HR rep said "don't worry about it". Thanks for all your advice, it was definitely the right thing to do!
    Well done you sound like you got a great job. Make a note of who you told and when, but its good not have that lurking. Businesses can raise minute things when theydont like you, but can overlook whatever they want when they do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.