Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A Streetcar Named Desire Discussion Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm taking the English Literature AS exam in May and I have to admit I'm struggling to analyse the ideas behind Streetcar. I thought it may be useful for everybody if we used this thread to discuss the key themes/ideas etc. and what may come up!

Hope to hear some of your ideas soon!

ReputationRep:
    Which board are you on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DustToDust)
    Which board are you on?
    OCR, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    im edexcel i need to reread a streetcar again im going to make notes on characters and themes whilst doing this, maybe doing extra reading will help your understanding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rampallian)
    OCR, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    WJEC Eduqas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathartic)
    im edexcel i need to reread a streetcar again im going to make notes on characters and themes whilst doing this, maybe doing extra reading will help your understanding?
    Any good essays/books you'd recommend?

ReputationRep:
    What are the main themes of the play I should revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    sex and death; illusion versus reality; isolation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imogen_forsyth)
    sex and death; illusion versus reality; isolation
    Do you have quotes on these themes? I'm willing to share my quotes on feminity masculinity illusion reality light mental state and my other themed quotes if you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Isolation:
    Costume shows contrast
    "Daintily dressed in a white suit with a fluffy bodice... As if she were arriving at a summer tea or cocktail party"
    Stanley "roughly dressed in blue denim work clothes"

Snobbery
    Well if you forgive me he's common
    Pollack
    Gaudy seed bearer
    Ape like

Dramatic climax the rape
    We had this date from the beginning

ReputationRep:
    Delusion versus self awareness

Characteristion
    Daintily dressed etc
    Imagery of a moth
    "Turn that over-light off! I won't be looked at in this merciless glare"
    Stella is more pratical than Blanche, for Blanche New Orleans is a form of social afterlife but Stella replies "no honey those are the L and N tracks"

Blanche and Stanley introduces illusion and Old south
    Stanley's bright colours -able to face up to reality
    Gaudy seed bearer
    Stanley is impervious to Blanche's flirtation "since easiest manhood the centre of his life has been pleasure with women"
    "Epic fornifications"

ReputationRep:
    Would you be able to share your light quotes?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm doing the WJEC board AS English lit, but maybe these ideas we have done in class will still be useful ( it is the same text after all)

- Focus on Williams' stage directions - how is Stanley's masculinity and attempts to regain power in the house (lost to Blanche) presented?
    - Contextual information
    -- German Expressionism (helps to research this individually) : developed in 1920's Berlin, culture and arts, reflects use of colour, motifs and mise en scene
    -- Literary Gothic - portrayal of mental illness and delusion (Blanche), 'flores por los mortes' (references to death), common
    -- Southern Gothic - reference to Williams' background
    -- Williams' biographic - his sister Rose was sectioned and had a lobotomy after allegedly being sexually assaulted by her father, her accusations were believed by all to be false and instead she was perceived to be mad - useful for analysing the climatic scene of the 'rape' (interpreted differently) of Blanche, Blanche's loneliness/isolation/stigma of her insanity/presentation of male-female relationships Williams' father was abusive (biographic not to be used too deeply)

-- conflict

- Role of fate 'The Four Deuces' , 'poker night' - symbol of masculinity, excludes women , Blanche's fate inevitable from the start

- conflict?

Stanley and Blanche
    Blanche and Mitch
    Stanley and Stella

Motif of light - reveals her insecurities - 'paper lantern' 'nothing I hate more than a naked light'

Hope this helped??? Just a quick amateurish brainstorm from me at this time when I am v v tired x

ReputationRep:
    The higher English exam was yesterday but good luck for yours!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm doing edexcel and I was wondering if anyone could send me a sample of their essay that they have done on streetcar. I need to work on my A01 (clarity) so I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this

ReputationRep:
    "gay reading" is the way I've been taught - the idea of a promiscuously gay writer (Williams) using a mouthpiece (Blanche) to take his revenge on the heterosexual norm.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 18, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.