Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure which from Loughborough, Heriot-Watt and Sheffield to insure. Out of these 3, HW seems to have a more interesting course content, but is it a good uni for Maths?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone alive?

ReputationRep:
    They're all quite similar in rankings, put down HW if you find the course content better

ReputationRep:
    I would have picked Sheffield as this is a better overall University compared to the other two when you look at tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    I would have picked Sheffield as this is a better overall University compared to the other two when you look at tables.
    Though league tables are bit pointless, Heriot-Watt are ranked higher than Sheffield on the national league table

(Original post by Eternalflames)
    They're all quite similar in rankings, put down HW if you find the course content better
    I don't really want to regret it if I don't make it into my firm choice :/ Tbh course content is almost identical for the first 2 yrs, except some of these uni allow optional modules. This is a hard choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Closed My Eyes)
    Though league tables are bit pointless, Heriot-Watt are ranked higher than Sheffield on the national league table

I don't really want to regret it if I don't make it into my firm choice :/ Tbh course content is almost identical for the first 2 yrs, except some of these uni allow optional modules. This is a hard choice
    But Sheffield is Russel group

ReputationRep:
    Have you been on any open/visit days there? Get a feel of how it is, look at the department and talk to some of the students there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    But Sheffield is Russel group
    That only becomes important for postgrads really (since its just a group of large unis that focus on research extensively). I'm planning on firming St Andrews, and could honestly say its better than Queens Mary and Liverpool.

(Original post by Eternalflames)
    Have you been on any open/visit days there? Get a feel of how it is, look at the department and talk to some of the students there.
    Yeah I've been there, and they were all terrible lol. I didn't bother to base my decision on open days, since it doesn't really reflect the teaching quality of the uni, just how well they do to organise the events. It felt totally different when I visited Loughborough and Sheffield to meet a few friends though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've been there, and they were all terrible lol. I didn't bother to base my decision on open days, since it doesn't really reflect the teaching quality of the uni, just how well they do to organise the events. It felt totally different when I visited Loughborough and Sheffield to meet a few friends though.
    This thread might be useful to you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3429925

I would say Heriot-Watt after that
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi I Closed My Eyes,

Totally understand that it is the biggest decision you will make. I have a little look on the student room most days so if I can help with the decision making process feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck in making your mind up, it seems you are doing a lot of research anyway so you should be fine

Cheers,
    Keir
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I don't really want to regret it if I don't make it into my firm choice :/ Tbh course content is almost identical for the first 2 yrs, except some of these uni allow optional modules. This is a hard choice [/QUOTE]

Hi I Closed My Eyes

Great to hear that you're considering Loughborough

Let us know if you have any specific questions about the course or the University more generally that may help with your decision.

Teresa

ReputationRep:
    Define 'good'. Is it good in terms of employability? Research department? course content?

Russell Group University's are renowned because of their outstanding contributions to research and their taught modules are usually reflective of this. If you want to go onto further research, you must look into departments research interests. On saying that, all 3 of the uni's mathematics undergraduates courses would prepare you well for higher level study at MSc or PhD level at most institutions and therefore either is a good fit. It depends on the type of mathematics you are interested in, you could start on a BSc/MMath Mathematics at any of your choices, identify your areas of interest in your first year, and opt for a chance into Maths & 'field of your choice' from year 2. Personally all of your backups are solid. May I ask what your 1st choice is?

BSc Mathematics/ MSc Applied Mathematics - Currently reading for a PhD Mathematical Sciences.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.