gl1tche
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
whats the best way to prepare for the UKCAT?

did u read books, do practices or take courses?
jokjok11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
there isnt really a way to practice, theres a few practice Qustions online, but you cant really revise. All you need to know is what you are doing and know the format of the Questions in each section. Its a really daft Exam anyway.
Harpreet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i didnt do any practice, only thing that helps is keeping your brain active in the week(s) before the test -

jokjok11, what makes you think its daft? just curious - one guy in my school (average grades, but good work ethic) scored 800/900 average on it, so it does help bring to light those who otherwise would never be seen as able in the medical or dental fields...
jokjok11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just that you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money ... Also IMO, i think that its unrelated to The course we're applying for.

In my school, theres a guy who wanted to apply for medicine, (not slating him or anyone...) He had end of AS exam results of literally E's and D's, Had no work ethic and dossed the whole year, but he ended up with very high UKCAT scores... Whereas the other med and dent applicants scored less than him! I suppose you can say this aptitude test, tests your common sense?

Personally, I scored well below average, and because of that, i thought i was going to get rejections.... Manchester didn't seem to mind them results and most of the dental schools didn't take them into account... (except Barts?)

Waste of money and waste of time.... Theres loads of criteria we had to fulfill to become eligible to obtain an offer from dental schools such as Work exp extra curricular etc... quoting from Leeds, its discriminative for people who do not have that kind of money to spend on an aptitude test.... So I think that UKCAT tests should be scrapped
gl1tche
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
haha, cheers guys, it is rely expensive and i looked at a mock type and it was crazy, never seen anything like it!
mazda
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
in my opinion the ukcat was the biggest amount of rubbish ever..theres no way to study for it..its just random questions like you find in iq tests. do the practise tests but they are not a true reflection of the actual test.

maz xx

Glasgow '07!
itsme!!
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Am i right in thinking that its just multiple choice questions?and the test is all done on a computer screen at the test centre?and how long is the test,1 hour?
jokjok11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/home/
jlow
Report 13 years ago
Just make sure you eat food, sleep and turn up at the right time....nothing else you can do, its an aptitude test..ENJOY
Grey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I ****ing hate UKCAT.
cosmopolitan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my advice for the uk cat do what i did .....

DONT DO IT!

you can apply to perfectly good dental schools without it here are the ones i think dont require it (or didnt when i applied)-
university of birmingham
university of bristol
univerity of leeds
university of liverpool
queens university belfast ( but they ask for 3 a's poo!)
Nyruz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
haha my school paying fo it
Nyruz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
getreadygetset
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the practice test is so hard
i dont think theres any point in doing it
work_til_failure
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nyrus)
Or alternatively get a bursary like myself, so you dont have to pay!
kvithani
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
its totally a waste of time...out of all the dental unis i applied for, it was only barts who actually used it as a guideline!...

but in terms of preparation, u can do absolutely NOTHING...have a look at the practice ones...but u'll find that the real thing is much more diff!...

u really cant do much to improve ur score! have fun!
nitasha.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is it a ridiculous number of questions and time pressure to get through them? I'm terriefied about it.
Warrior King
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by gl1tche)
whats the best way to prepare for the UKCAT?

did u read books, do practices or take courses?
I read some book which was for both the BMAT and the UKCAT and was able to practise the questions in those. There are courses available but not having attended one I can't really comment on their usefulness. You can't really 'prepare' as such for the UKCAT but what you can do is familiarise yourself with the style of questions and the time conditions etc.

It would be unwise to go into the UKCAT without even a little bit of familiarity.
Warrior King
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah you stinking dentists have it so good. Us medics don't have the luxury of applying to a medical school without a stupid admissions test (except for Birmingham and Bristol). :p:
nitasha.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Warrior King)
I read some book which was for both the BMAT and the UKCAT and was able to practise the questions in those. There are courses available but not having attended one I can't really comment on their usefulness. You can't really 'prepare' as such for the UKCAT but what you can do is familiarise yourself with the style of questions and the time conditions etc.

It would be unwise to go into the UKCAT without even a little bit of familiarity.
Is that book worth it?
Did it help much?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (191)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.77%
I'm not a current university student (657)
49.14%

Watched Threads