The Student Room Group

uni first year pass

I dont understand how you can fail first year at uni...because you can do resits. Does this mean if you get under 40% in all modules you can resit them all and still go into the second year??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At my uni you can get NRP'd (No Resit Permitted) for some modules. Seems to happen most to people who've messed around and not attended lectures much. Also, some classes only permit a certain number of retakes, and to be honest, if you can't reach 40% in your modules then you really ought to reconsider bothering with uni at all (barring extenuating circumstances, obviously).
Reply 2
That is absolutely appalling. Everyone should be given a second chance. Sometimes thats all people need to get their arse into gear.
We have these idiotic essay questions. Handwriting. No drafts.

Just a perfect system for an overseas student. =]
I know you can resit modules if you get below 40% overall, which is the pass mark, but I'm not sure whether they'd let you resit everything, and even if they did, the maximum mark you can get is capped at 40%. Then as wesetters said, you can fail resits. It's not like A-levels where you can take an exam 4 times during sixth form if you want :rolleyes:
Reply 5
You will be amazed how easy it is to fail though.

University examinations are very different to A Levels. The way of learning is completely different. Going from spoon fed with set syllabuses and pretty predictable questions to university which at best is tough and at worse, just sheer incompetence where YOU are expected to cover the gaps is VERY hard. I will be taking full advantage of my resits, unfortunately
Reply 6
I do believe that at my uni resits in Sept are for those who fail first time round (under 40%) or those unable to take the exams first time round.
Hmm i do worry about how hard its gonna be at uni. I think i really am gonna end up studying a lot more than having a social life.
Reply 8
heppelstone16
Hmm i do worry about how hard its gonna be at uni. I think i really am gonna end up studying a lot more than having a social life.

In your first year you really won't need to. The first year is as much about meeting new people and going out, getting involved and having fun as it is about studying. Even the lecturers will tell you that!
Reply 9
Shockley
That is absolutely appalling. Everyone should be given a second chance. Sometimes thats all people need to get their arse into gear.

Who the hell negged me for that. If you don't like my opinion, at least leave your name you coward. Ridiculous.
At my department you can't resit modules. You can however pass up to 3 modules (out of 12) with 30-40% if you get >40% overall.
ln my uni, if you fail more than 3 modules out of 8, they make you repeat the year.
Reply 12
You do 8 modules in a year? :mute:
Reply 13
I did 8... 120 credit points needed for the year, each module 15 CP... :smile:
I do 12. :/
I do 6 :p: They still add up to 120 credits though (2 x 30 and 4 x 15).
Shockley
Who the hell negged me for that. If you don't like my opinion, at least leave your name you coward. Ridiculous.

get sub and find out... stupid neg-reppers
i heard if you have to resit too many times, you cant have honours. is this true?
Reply 18
~Sam~
In your first year you really won't need to. The first year is as much about meeting new people and going out, getting involved and having fun as it is about studying. Even the lecturers will tell you that!

True, true. But that said, try and do work as you go along otherwise it comes to this time of year and you realise that you've not done any work and can't understand anything and are very likely going to fail your first year or have to do very many resits :redface: Ahem. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything ... :frown:

Anyway, this will not happen if you start revision for exams at least more than the day before every one of your exams :p:
Reply 19
Loads of people I went to college with started uni and ended up failing the first year, and because of that they ended up dropping out

So although a lot of peoples' first year marks dont count towards the final degree mark, you should really be making an effort just because otherwise, you may find yourself not being able to carry on.

A lot of people fail in their first year because they dont take it seriously enough, and end up having to leave the course. I can think of at least 20 people that I went to college with that ended up failing and having to leave.

Quick Reply