Summer Internship Or Dissertation

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    I am an MBA student. I have three months summer vacation from July to September before my second term starts...

I was thinking about going for an internship during these three months... But one of classmate suggested that I complete my dissertation during that time and then utilise the three months I have after completion of my course for internships...

So I am in a bit of a dilemma here... What do you guys suggest??? I need some advice from a job perspective... Which wold help me secure a job easily??? and Internship or my dissertation???

Not sure either would help you secure a job easily. Why would it? I suppose the interneship would be best, but it depends where it was. Unless your dissertation was something amazingly relevant, then how does that make you a better employee?

Imo do your dissertation, unless you get a great internship. Do another intership after you finish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not sure either would help you secure a job easily. Why would it? I suppose the interneship would be best, but it depends where it was. Unless your dissertation was something amazingly relevant, then how does that make you a better employee?

Imo do your dissertation, unless you get a great internship. Do another intership after you finish.
    Yeah... Makes sense... I do have my idea for dissertation now... I was hoping to finish it well before the deadline and then apply for internships...

You dissertatuib is part of your degree, ofc you would finish it before moving on. Its unlikely either will get you a job easily. Just depends how prestigious your MBA is. Talk to the department or careers to find out what other students did after finishing. You might be in demand or it might be an expensive indulgence.

ReputationRep:
    OK... I have booked an appointment to talk with the career consulting team from the university... Will discuss with them the options and which would be the best course of action to take during those three months...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s0vvy_blu3s)
    OK... I have booked an appointment to talk with the career consulting team from the university... Will discuss with them the options and which would be the best course of action to take during those three months...
    Have you had any guidance on completing your diss yet? Normally you will have lecturs around this, you'll need a supervisor before you start (to oversee the project and make sure that your work is the right standard) and you'll need their help/support to turn out anything worthwhile. You could do a lot of diss work over this summer (when members of uni staff don't tend to be available anyway) and find that you need to re-work much of it next summer anyway.

I would talk to your programme leader rather than careers advisers. If they're worth their money, they'll give you both the academic and professional view. Careers advisers will just have the professional view.

ReputationRep:
    I've had levtures on how to write them... And I pretty much know who mu supervisor is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s0vvy_blu3s)
    I've had levtures on how to write them... And I pretty much know who mu supervisor is...
    It's their advice you need.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.