Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just turned 18

Starting to explore resistance training and made visible (nothing major, but visible) gains over the last 7/8 weeks having protein shakes daily and going to gym 3 times a week

I'm now looking to develop a proper routine that's balanced and will help me gain size and strength; problem is I have a limited number of exercises I actually know how to do with proper form so I basically wanted some suggestions on how to mix and match exercises in my routine:

Mon, weds, fri
    5x5 smith machine squats
    5x7 dumbbell press
    5x5 smith machine bench
    5x7 dumbbell flys
    5x5 lat pull downs

30 second rest between sets

Anything that sticks out? I don't specifically work legs because I'm a cyclist and cycle to and from sixth form daily. At present I look like I skip upper body day

Im trying to move towards something like stronglifts 5x5 but I'm limited since I don't know how to do deadlifts or any heavy barbell stuff.

Is the volume too much? ANY suggestions good cheers
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you can't learn. Youtube is great in this instance. The "so you think you can" series is a decent starting place. Hell, even on the SL5x5 website there's how tos.

Don't use the smith machine, it will hurt you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you can't learn. Youtube is great in this instance. The "so you think you can" series is a decent starting place. Hell, even on the SL5x5 website there's how tos.

Serious? I've had my doubts about smith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Mentally and physically I'm guessing. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi-zen-berg)
    Serious? I've had my doubts about smith.
    No movement in lifting is a perfectly straight line. Smith machine locks you into an abnormal position and will mess with your knees and shoulder joints

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.