Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody done this? I am asking about English Language and Literature with CIE IGCSE, 0500CR (21 and 31) Language and 0486BY (12/32/42) for Literature. I am predicted A* for language and A literature, even though I got 80% for language and 88% literature in my mocks (both As). I am studying Henry V, Spies by Michael Frayn and Poems Deep and Dangerous.

My main concern is that my teacher has predicted me an A* for language, and in all but one of the papers I have done since then, I have been getting As, while most of my literature papers have gotten A*s, so I don't understand her prediction.

I am also concerned about the grade boundaries that she has set. She said that I needed 90% or higher for an A* in both language and literature in my mocks but I checked for the same papers online and they say 65% (which I think is very low), so I am very confused about what she has told me.

Anyway, does anybody have any recommendations about what I can do to get those A*s, as this is the only subject that I haven't predicted an A*. I would like to get an A* and my language exams are in a month from now.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries are very low I find with CIE - did you do the coursework route for language?

ReputationRep:
    No coursework. Just paper 2 (mostly reading based) and paper 3 (directed and descriptive writing)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akaash13)
    Has anybody done this? I am asking about English Language and Literature with CIE IGCSE, 0500CR (21 and 31) Language and 0486BY (12/32/42) for Literature. I am predicted A* for language and A literature, even though I got 80% for language and 88% literature in my mocks (both As). I am studying Henry V, Spies by Michael Frayn and Poems Deep and Dangerous.

My main concern is that my teacher has predicted me an A* for language, and in all but one of the papers I have done since then, I have been getting As, while most of my literature papers have gotten A*s, so I don't understand her prediction.

I am also concerned about the grade boundaries that she has set. She said that I needed 90% or higher for an A* in both language and literature in my mocks but I checked for the same papers online and they say 65% (which I think is very low), so I am very confused about what she has told me.

Anyway, does anybody have any recommendations about what I can do to get those A*s, as this is the only subject that I haven't predicted an A*. I would like to get an A* and my language exams are in a month from now.

Thank you.
    Yes you are correct. 65% was the grade boundary for an A* last year in English literature. I don't know where you're teacher got those grade boundaries from. Therefore if you got 88% in you're mocks I'm sure that you would get an A* in the literature exams next week.

ReputationRep:
    Here are the grade boundaries for 2015 (0486): http://www.cie.org.uk/images/252212-...-june-2015.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.