Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok, I'm 19 and have long suffered from hair loss due to a genetic condition. I lost my hair at 15 and had to wear a wig, but it grew back when I was 17 for 2 years.

Then I lost it again after my first term at uni and I'm now completely bald again so have to wear a wig again.

I really like my wig and feel confident in it. People who don't know seem to think it's my real hair.

I also had a fling recently and the guy didn't seem to suspect it wasn't my real hair (meaning it's also sex proof 😁)

Lately I've been really wanting to get on the dating scene since I'm 19 and have never had anything other than flings, never lasting more than a few months.

However, I worry if I'll be able to.

I really do not feel comfortable a guy seeing me bald ( I'm not even comfortable seeing myself bald, hence I wear my wig even in bed!)

So would i HAVE to tell a guy it's a wig?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you will have a better feeling after that.

ReputationRep:
    It may be hard, but I think you should be straightforward at the start of the relationship. There are guys who definitely won't mind.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you whether you tell a guy or not but what if he wants to put his hands through your hair. I sometimes wear hair extensions and I would tell the guy if he asked.

ReputationRep:
    I probably wouldn't use it as an ice breaker on the first date but once you've been together a while you'll need to let them know. If they genuinely care about you it shouldn't be an issue.

Personally I wouldn't mind so I'm sure plenty of other penis bearers won't either.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you. Honestly, if the guy likes you for you, I don't think 'being bald' should make a difference. It's really not a big deal, but then again, that's just my opinion. Sure everyone wants their significant other to see them as hot, sexy and/or beautiful whatever, but I think if someone really stops liking you because of that, they're shallow and not worth your time. This is something that you cannot change. It's a part of you. If they can't accept that, then they don't really accept you for you.

But again, it's your decision. If you're ok with pretending that your wig is your real hair and it makes you feel happy, confident and comfortable by doing so, then by all means continue hiding it. It might come to a shock for them if they do find out, however, so be prepared for that haha.

ReputationRep:
    There's not many blokes who would only go out with someone for their hair. It's just an issue of timing.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to show him your bald head, but I would tell him about your past and that you are bald and wear a wig, it's quite a big secrete to hide and if he found out he may lose trust in you which wouldn't be a good start of you want a lasting relationship. Not to mention he'd probably be pretty shocked if he accidentally saw you bald and didn't know about it.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and consequently I have to inject whenever I eat. I hate doing my injections in front of other people so if I'm on a date I will explain that I'm diabetic and that I have to inject etc but then I'll go to the toilet to do it.
    She never see's me inject but she's aware. (Again, if I hadn't had told her and she found an injection in my bag or whatever she'd probably think I was some kind of drug addict). I think it's important to tell but it doesn't mean you have to show.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell him if you think he is a decent guy. If it's just some fling then don't worry about it. Be prepared that some guys are idiots and may be insensitive but some aren't and would be ok about it. Good on you for having the strength to overcome it by the way...i know it must have been devastating mentally even though it is 'just' hair.

By the way, although i'm a bit older (32), it wouldn't bother me if a girl wore a wig...ad long as i found her attractive anyway and se took care of herself. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it needs to be the first thing you tell a guy, but if you get on well with someone and want a relationship with them, then might be worth telling them - not because theres anything wrong with wearing a wig, but because you don't want to lose a guys trust or look like you are quite secretive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.