Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hiya
    Im back from uni for the holidays and living at my mum's again. We've had a really rough couple of days and I ended up staying at my dads for a while - this was when he told me that mum's family have a history of severe bipolar disorder and how she has been acting sounds like they could be symptoms.

I'm back at mum's now, shes acting relly strange - I dont think she's a risk to herself, but because it's just her and I, I'm the one that is on the recieving end of all her problems, which of course she blames on me. I honestly don't know how to get through the next two weeks.

Talking to her about it isnt an option as that wouldnt be taken well, i dont like staying at my dad's much ether, does anybody have any suggestions as to what I could do from here?

Thank you for reading xx

ReputationRep:
    Has she always behaved the way she is and what exactly is she behaving like?

ReputationRep:
    If you are sure she has bipolar then try and seek help.
    Get evidence of her symptoms and talk to a professional about it if you are unsure.

It wasn't until my mum's schizophrenia got so bad where I had to get help from relatives around 5 years ago. I had recordings and videos so they would take me seriously.
    Really try to speak to her about the possibility of a GP appointment.
    It took a while until my my mum was finally sectioned and its so important that you do it if she gets worse.
    Even if she refuses, at least try and speak to her about the illness.

My mum's family had history of severe schizophrenia as well which I only found out about last year by speaking to my dad who was a little drunk at the time.
    Its rather scary but I can't help think how different things might have been if I would have sought help sooner.
    But then again I was only a child at the time when it all started to become apparent that she had something wrong with her.

(Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Has she always behaved the way she is and what exactly is she behaving like?
    She's been difficult for as long as i can remember, it got worse after my dad left 9 years ago but that could just be because it was then focused on me or because from that point i was old enough to notice it. It has definitely got worse in the last couple of years, particularly since thursday.

Its hard to describe symptoms because from what i can gather they change drastically with different people.
    She gets irrationally angry very easily, blames others for the way she acts, reinterprets events to her benefit - for example she will tell me I did something wrong when she actually did it, she has severe anxiety, has a lot of trouble sleeping at night, is very restless - always feels like she should be outside doing something, or she will just lie in bed/in front of the tv.
    But all of these things kind of mix and match and change minute to minute/day to day if that makes sense?

(Original post by Pentaquark)
    If you are sure she has bipolar then try and seek help.
    Get evidence of her symptoms and talk to a professional about it if you are unsure.
    Its difficult because it's just me and im not around that much (at uni 200 miles away), and she would be so so angry if i went beind her back or even hinted at suggesting there was an issue that wasnt my fault.
    I've lived with her taking everything out on me for the last 9 years and honestly I turn back into a terrified little kid when she gets angry, its like she turns into a different person, but nobody is there to see it so nobody would believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She's been difficult for as long as i can remember, it got worse after my dad left 9 years ago but that could just be because it was then focused on me or because from that point i was old enough to notice it. It has definitely got worse in the last couple of years, particularly since thursday.

Its hard to describe symptoms because from what i can gather they change drastically with different people.
    She gets irrationally angry very easily, blames others for the way she acts, reinterprets events to her benefit - for example she will tell me I did something wrong when she actually did it, she has severe anxiety, has a lot of trouble sleeping at night, is very restless - always feels like she should be outside doing something, or she will just lie in bed/in front of the tv.
    But all of these things kind of mix and match and change minute to minute/day to day if that makes sense?
    Yeah that all makes sense and does sound very difficult for you to have had to deal with on your own for a lot of your life :hugs: and I understand what it's like living with someone like that, my dad has schizophrenia.

Have you raised your concerns with your mum or is that something you're scared to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Its difficult because it's just me and im not around that much (at uni 200 miles away), and she would be so so angry if i went beind her back or even hinted at suggesting there was an issue that wasnt my fault.
    I've lived with her taking everything out on me for the last 9 years and honestly I turn back into a terrified little kid when she gets angry, its like she turns into a different person, but nobody is there to see it so nobody would believe me.
    I sort of understand what you mean. My mum used to threaten me a lot and since I grew up with it I sort of knew the boundaries and had gotten used to her behaviour. It wasn't until we got evicted from our house that me and my sister decided we needed to do something about it. I left it so long until something had to be done.
    Perhaps talk to someone on charity helplines? e.g. Mind (http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/)
    They will give you proper advice and look for support in your area.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.