Turn on thread page Beta

Myth-Busting Mondays: Who is most at risk of developing skin cancer? watch

• View Poll Results: Who is most at risk of developing skin cancer? Those who:
    Have fair skin
    47.47%
    Have red hair
    25.25%
    Have moles/freckles
    38.38%
    Have olive skin
    4.04%
    Have brown eyes
    1.01%
    Have had cancer before
    37.37%
    Have a family history of skin cancer
    55.56%
    All of the above
    33.33%

• Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Now it's spring, and most of us are hoping that we'll get some sunshine which is often rare in the UK (or maybe you're lucky enough to be going abroad this year!). However, when the sun is out, we all need to take care to protect our skin from damage.

Although we can all be at risk of developing it, who is most at risk of developing skin cancer? Use to poll to cast your vote!

Do you think we protect ourselves enough from damage from the sun? Do you cover up and use sun cream or are you more likely to be sunbathing to get a tan?

Post note: you can post anonymously on this thread
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    x
    There we go
    • Section Leader
    • Answer Heroes

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    There we go
    Done I definitely cover up and put the factor 50 on, i can't tan anyway and the risk isn't worth it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Done I definitely cover up and put the factor 50 on, i can't tan anyway and the risk isn't worth it.
    It was interesting when I researched this that just the factor isn't enough, but the star rating to block UVA and UVB too. Apparently those who put on factor 50 are more likely to stay out in the sun longer and apply less so are more likely to get skin damage - I wear 50 too!
    • Section Leader
    • Answer Heroes

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    It was interesting when I researched this that just the factor isn't enough, but the star rating to block UVA and UVB too. Apparently those who put on factor 50 are more likely to stay out in the sun longer and apply less so are more likely to get skin damage - I wear 50 too!
    I think people forgetting that you have to reapply often even with factor 50 is pretty common.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I never really bother with sun cream due to the melanin in my dark skin. And certainly I have a lower risk than Caucasians.

But the interesting thing is that POC tend to be at the later stages of the disease at diagnosis because of this confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Fair skin, freckled, light haired crew with a grandmother with skin cancer checking in.

I try to be really careful in the sun. When I was younger I did get sunburnt a few times but now I make sure to wear factor 50 suncream. I live in the South in the US and it's already heating up for the summer - was 25C today. I also have self-harm scars which have no melanin and so get sun damaged very easily, so I'm extra careful with suncream on there.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Fair skin, freckled, light haired crew with a grandmother with skin cancer checking in.

I try to be really careful in the sun. When I was younger I did get sunburnt a few times but now I make sure to wear factor 50 suncream. I live in the South in the US and it's already heating up for the summer - was 25C today. I also have self-harm scars which have no melanin and so get sun damaged very easily, so I'm extra careful with suncream on there.
    I'm the same really, fair skin and freckles but with brown hair. I'm not sure I have a family history of skin cancer, but definitely do of the other cancers.

Wow that sounds warm, it's cloudy and overcast in the Midlands in the UK. Although that's another thing, I never put on Sun cream when it's cloudy but the sun rays still get through I didn't know that about scars!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I never really bother with sun cream due to the melanin in my dark skin. And certainly I have a lower risk than Caucasians.

But the interesting thing is that POC tend to be at the later stages of the disease at diagnosis because of this confidence.
    Aren't POC more likely to have cancerous moles etc. on the parts of them with less colour i.e. between the fingers or toes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Aren't POC more likely to have cancerous moles etc. on the parts of them with less colour i.e. between the fingers or toes?
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I also have self-harm scars which have no melanin and so get sun damaged very easily, so I'm extra careful with suncream on there.
    Wasn't aware of this, thanks!

But you can still burn if you're dark skinned. My dad has fairly dark skin. (he's half English / half Maltese) He still burns. I do remember one summer, part of his arm was white, (where his t-shirt was) another part was red and the rest was brown.

I've burnt once. That was painful to say the least! Especially when it's cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Wasn't aware of this, thanks!

But you can still burn if you're dark skinned. My dad has fairly dark skin. (he's half English / half Maltese) He still burns. I do remember one summer, part of his arm was white, (where his t-shirt was) another part was red and the rest was brown.

I've burnt once. That was painful to say the least! Especially when it's cold.
    He is referring to skin cancer, which evidently appears minimal amongst darker skin.

ReputationRep:
    My face currently gleams as bright and white as a full moon, thanks to years of being mostly stuck in the house due to my agoraphobia. I'm hoping this year to actually catch some sun in order to look like a person who has seen daylight. Having said that, I've never been a fan of sitting in the sun for ages just to tan. I've always had a bit of a fear of skin cancer, not helped by a scary looking mole, and when I was younger I used to run from tree to tree when walking outside in order to stay in the shade as much as possible. And one summer I took my Little Mermaid umbrella out to shade me from the sun. I still say we should make parasols happen, even in our sometimes sun-starved country.

I'm not sure which group is at the highest risk of developing skin cancer, all I know is I've heard statistics about the amount of moles you have being closely related to your risk of developing it and people with fair skin/red hair obviously have a tendency to burn more easily.

ReputationRep:
    Me with my skin that's literally white and guaranteed to burn on more than 5 minutes of exposure to moderate sunlight. Thanks for that, Irish genes

I'm black so I only get darker if I don't wear sunscreen. I only wear it on my face to avoid hyper pigmentation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ULTRALIGHT BEAM)
    He is referring to skin cancer, which evidently appears minimal amongst darker skin.
    Is it? I know that people with pale skin/freckles are the most at risk, but I read somewhere that dark skin only provides a bit more protection.

Why are people saying all of the above? How does having brown eyes correlate with getting skin cancer? Brown eyed people usually have dark skin, and that surely offers them some protection over white people? Also since they are usually based in poorer countries they may spend a longer period of their time indoors working in the growing industry, and take fewer holidays to hot countries. They might also be more adapted to survive in the sun.

?????
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Answers are in!

Now, of course, everyone is at risk of skin cancer if they are out in the sun for extended period without protection. Something else to note is that just because you use factor 50 sun cream, does not mean you are completely protected - look out for the UVA star rating, and ensure you apply a sufficient amount and keep reapplying, especially when you're outside in water!

If you want to read more, take a look at the Skin cancer prevention section on the cancer research website

According to this link, those most at risk include those who:

- Have fair skin
    - Have red hair
    - Have moles/freckles
    - Have had cancer previously
    - Have a family history of skin cancer

So do you think we know enough about preventing skin cancer?

Next week will be adding to this topic and looking at what are the signs that a mole may be cancerous.

I hope this has helped raise some awareness!

ReputationRep:
    Great informative threat BB!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Great informative threat BB!
    :eek:

I hope you mean thread?

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.