Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What university should I choose watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need one of the following two schools.Please help me make the right choice by answering my questions
    -McGill
    - WPI
    Major: Computer Engineering
    I am an international student
    and here are my questions:

-Which engineering program is more prestigious?
    - Which school has better facilities? McGill's endowment is about 1.4 billion but WPI's 400 million. But WPI is a private so does this make a difference? How are the labs in both schools.
    - How are the internship opportunities? what kind of firms recruit from both schools
    - How do the starting salaries for computer engineering fare?
    - If I want to do my graduate school in the US. Will it be easy for me to study in the US. And after this will I be required to go back in Canada or I can stay in the US if I find a job there?

Questions for McGill:
    - Can I easily get a campus job? since I am an international student
    - I heard somewhere that McGill is more theory oriented. Is this true? or do they get just as much hands on experience as any good engineering program. Do students get to apply what they learnt with real equipment?
    - Do I get to make my own class schedule and decide when my classes start? Because I think I read somewhere that McGill classes start at 8:30 am

Questions about WPI:
    - How are the dorms and bathrooms? I have heard horrible stories about them!

So far I am leaning more towards McGill. I've heard many good things about the school, the people, and the city.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to get better answers to this on College Confidential

ReputationRep:
    aymanzayedmannan can help you with McGill

ReputationRep:
    This is a North American problem.

FWIW, I have heard of McGill, but had to Google WPI. Which may be completely irrelevant to the kinds of employers you care about.

ReputationRep:
    Go for McGill. 100%.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    McGill deffo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to be studying in McGill Engineering this fall so I thought I might try and help you out.

McGill!
    (Original post by DonatKap14)
    -Which engineering program is more prestigious?
    McGill has a better reputation overall, but the most "prestigious" engineering programme in Canada would have to be Waterloo's or UofT's. That being said, McGill has its advantages over those two schools.

- Which school has better facilities? McGill's endowment is about 1.4 billion but WPI's 400 million. But WPI is a private so does this make a difference?
    I can't speak much about WPI, but you definitely can't go wrong with McGill if you're talking about school facilities.

- How are the internship opportunities? what kind of firms recruit from both schools
    Unlike Waterloo, McGill doesn't have a mandatory co-op programme but they do have an Engineering Career Centre (MESC) which has the sole function of finding work-related opportunities for students. However, do keep in mind that you'll need an off-campus work permit (which is apparently easy to get)

- How do the starting salaries for computer engineering fare?
    From the statistics I've found:

"Average annual salaries for new graduates:

Canada: $46,000 - $62,000

United States: $ 67,800

Internship Salaries $15 - $26 per hour

*Sources include: CACEE Campus Recruitment andBenchmark Survey (2011), NACE Salary Survey2009, RIQ Enquete sur la rémunération directe desingénieurs salariés du Québec (2012)"

- If I want to do my graduate school in the US. Will it be easy for me to study in the US. And after this will I be required to go back in Canada or I can stay in the US if I find a job there?
    Yes, a lot of McGill undergraduates go on to top-tier US schools for grad school - you should have no trouble. Re: jobs. I imagine that it'd be the same as every other country where you need to apply for a work permit.

- Can I easily get a campus job? since I am an international student
    It won't be a problem on campus. The trouble arises when you have limited knowledge of French and try working off-campus - Quebec is officially bilingual and you'll need a decent command of French to work in some places in Montreal.

There are many on-campus job opportunities which give you some benefit on your tuition.

- I heard somewhere that McGill is more theory oriented. Is this true? or do they get just as much hands on experience as any good engineering program. Do students get to apply what they learnt with real equipment?
    I can confirm that it's theory oriented, but it also has decent opportunities for experience so you haven't got much to worry about.

- Do I get to make my own class schedule and decide when my classes start? Because I think I read somewhere that McGill classes start at 8:30 am
    Don't you need to attend classes as per scheduled everywhere? I'm not sure what you're asking tbh.

Questions about WPI:
    - How are the dorms and bathrooms? I have heard horrible stories about them!
    McGill has lovely hotel-style dorms so you've got nothing to worry about there.

Also if these are things you care for:
    • McGill has a much better male-to-female ratio that WPI - 43-57 versus 70-30.
    • McGill is like the #1 party school in Canada - no other school compares. :party:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Hi, I'm going to be studying in McGill Engineering this fall so I thought I might try and help you out.

McGill!

McGill has a better reputation overall, but the most "prestigious" engineering programme in Canada would have to be Waterloo's or UofT's. That being said, McGill has its advantages over those two schools.

I can't speak much about WPI, but you definitely can't go wrong with McGill if you're talking about school facilities.

Unlike Waterloo, McGill doesn't have a mandatory co-op programme but they do have an Engineering Career Centre (MESC) which has the sole function of finding work-related opportunities for students. However, do keep in mind that you'll need an off-campus work permit (which is apparently easy to get)

From the statistics I've found:

"Average annual salaries for new graduates:

Canada: $46,000 - $62,000

United States: $ 67,800

Internship Salaries $15 - $26 per hour

*Sources include: CACEE Campus Recruitment andBenchmark Survey (2011), NACE Salary Survey2009, RIQ Enquete sur la rémunération directe desingénieurs salariés du Québec (2012)"

Yes, a lot of McGill undergraduates go on to top-tier US schools for grad school - you should have no trouble. Re: jobs. I imagine that it'd be the same as every other country where you need to apply for a work permit.

It won't be a problem on campus. The trouble arises when you have limited knowledge of French and try working off-campus - Quebec is officially bilingual and you'll need a decent command of French to work in some places in Montreal.

There are many on-campus job opportunities which give you some benefit on your tuition.

I can confirm that it's theory oriented, but it also has decent opportunities for experience so you haven't got much to worry about.

Don't you need to attend classes as per scheduled everywhere? I'm not sure what you're asking tbh.

McGill has lovely hotel-style dorms so you've got nothing to worry about there.

Also if these are things you care for:
    • McGill has a much better male-to-female ratio that WPI - 43-57 versus 70-30.
    • McGill is like the #1 party school in Canada - no other school compares. :party:
    Dsmn 43-57?! :tong: Have fun buddy!!

And WOW just googled your dorms. They look incredible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Dsmn 43-57?! :tong: Have fun buddy!!
    Engineering ratios aren't as pretty though. it's like \frac{3}{4}^{\text{th}} dudes. :cry:

And WOW just googled your dorms. They look incredible!
    Yep, I still don't believe places like this are student residences. :ahee: I hope I get the rez I want though.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Engineering ratios aren't as pretty though. it's like \frac{3}{4}^{\text{th}} dudes. :cry:

Yep, I still don't believe places like this are student residences. :ahee: I hope I get the rez I want though.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is that student accommodation or the university's main foyer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Is that student accommodation or the university's main foyer?
    This is actually inside student accommodations (commonly referred to as "rez" there). Here's a really nice video of the place. This is just one of many buildings though.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Better than the UK ratios of like 1:10!

And damn that looks heavenly!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Please choose McGill.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.