Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Just wondering... Right now I'm currently studying a HNC (full time in college) which ends in June and I will go on to do my HND in September, so from June to September I would technically be "unemployed" with no income at all for living. So would I be able to claim job seekers allowance? It's a very confusing area because although I would be technically unemployed (not in education or working 16 hrs) however i'm still technically signed up to my course. Plz help cos I'm gonna need financial support n JSA would be so handy but unsure if I am 'eligible'

    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    Yes you may claim JSA if your course actually finishes and you cease to be a student. You can put in your claim as soon as your course ends and youve left. Payment starts 7 days.after a valid claim., but it may take2-4 weeks before you see anything in your account. The payment rates is £57.90 if you are under 25.

    You make your claim online here

    I think you can phone for the form as well,

    You get an appointment, have an interview, make an agreement and thats it
    You do what they say and youve agreed to do or they will sanction you.
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.