Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New driver nerves watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I passed my driving test in November and since then have been looking for a car. I bought one a few days ago and have been driving around at quiet times. I thought I was doing ok - a bit jolty at times but moving off and not holding anyone up.

Yesterday I went out for a drive with my boyfriend and managed to overshoot a junction, I managed to make it into the junction but very awkwardly. Then as I got home to the car park behind my flat all the parking spaces were taken so I attempted a 3 point turn in a very tight place and scraped the front of my car on a wall...

I'm not feeling very nervous about getting on the car again and questioning my ability! I was fine in the learners car but this feels like a massive jump.

Does anyone else have any experience as a new driver? Does it get better? Am I alone in scraping my car in the first few days??

ReputationRep:
    I've been driving nearly 2 month now and it does get easier, I scraped my car a little twice and a big scrape on the gate (my drive is small). Don't let it stop you, no one got hurt its not a big deal. I was nervous before every journey and only did local routes until the other day when I did a 60 mile trip including the first time on the motorway and now I feel I can drive anywhere. Basically what I'm saying is just do it. Take someone with you if it helps and just take your time X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Like all skills, it takes practice. Get out on some country roads where you can enjoy the drive and take things slow. A bit of "Sunday driving"!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The more you drive, the better you'll get, and soon enough you'll look back and laugh at how you used to get nervous

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it will get better. It really is a case of putting the hours in. I passed just six months ago and feel much less nervous now. I basically feel a little bit more confident than I did at first. I struggled with reverse bay parking for example so I went out one night and practised for an hour in a quiet carpark. I looked like a right loser but now I can dump the car in a parking space with ease and that's made me feel so much better about driving in general. Good luck and all the best with your diving. Beep beep!

ReputationRep:
    I just did some refresher lessons as I hadn't driven for 4 years and popped my solo driving cherry today by renting a car. I was shaking, and sweating bullets, almost panic attack as I had never driven without my instructor with me and with the knowledge of dual control being there if anything happens. In my lessons I was very smooth and confident and assumed I'd be the same on my own...! I was given one of those horrid smart cars when I had learned in a nice ford. I was driving through Bootle nicely, then got to Seaforth and had a rest in a side road. When I was faced with a dual carriageway I though "EFF this" and tried to avoid it at all costs as I felt fine in town roads. There are no car rental places where I live so I had to go somewhere nearer the city centre. Bit cocky on my part I suppose.

I'm sure, like in lessons it's a case of experience. Drove again round my local area and feel much better about it, no problems at all. I felt more fluid and confident the more I went on. Agree with everyone else who says you get used to it very quickly

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.