Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay I know that sounds a little ridiculous that I have no GCSE's - things happened in school, mainly mental health issues. Only thing I got out of school that was decent, was I think two B's in a BTEC Business course. However not to make excuses for myself, it's 5 years later and I'm looking to get a part time job at the age of 20.

I moved abroad after school but I'm heading back soon. Whilst being abroad I've become a qualified pilot - currently studying another flying license. Which in itself is all theory that is studied at home for just under a year. I.e why I'd like to get a part time job just to have a small income whilst I study.

Would the whole qualified private pilot part on my CV go for me given I have no real qualifications from school? Considering the training and flying qualifications I've got so far aren't easily attained!

I actually spent a year studying to retake my GCSE's via a UK based company, but there were issues in getting all the exams booked. Therefore I had to kind of ditch it as it was time to continue with my flight training and that was my priority. I am planning on revisiting the GCSE's once I'm finished training and looking for a flying job. Since I put a years worth of work in. But no time right now as my current studies take all my time (14 glorious exams worth!)

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    You can qualify as a pilot purely from work you do at home?

That's kind of concerning tbh...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Very unusual, but its unlikely an employer would know anything about what your course entails. I think it does something for you and would be a talking point.
    Put it in the additional skills section. If you need a job then you are better off pitching your skills to do the job. You can use the pilots licence to sypport that but dont oversell it. They would prefer to see Maths and English. Persist and someone will give you a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    You can qualify as a pilot purely from work you do at home?

That's kind of concerning tbh...
    Haha I didn't want to get too technical as its a mind field on the process if you don't understand how the licensing works.Basically I'm doing what's called your 'ATPL' (Airline Transport License) and the first part of it is totally theory. Includes 14 different subjects relating to aeronautics, of which all have a theory exam. You of course do this via an official flying school and also do about 4 weeks of classroom work at the actual school. This is the license that allows us to fly for an airline & become a first officer. However you can not become a captain on this license - to do so, you sit a practical test when you accumulate 1500 flying hours. After the theory is complete its back in the aeroplane for the Commercial License/Instrument Rating/Multi-Engine.

So no need to be concerned. The theory work can be done via distance or full time classroom - my situation distance works best. Just one of a couple licenses we do. This just happens to be 100% theoretical. The rest are practical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Very unusual, but its unlikely an employer would know anything about what your course entails. I think it does something for you and would be a talking point.
    Put it in the additional skills section. If you need a job then you are better off pitching your skills to do the job. You can use the pilots licence to sypport that but dont oversell it. They would prefer to see Maths and English. Persist and someone will give you a chance.
    Of course, requirements are requirements. Thank you.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Be postive plenty of people wont have qualifications, but it will be to your benefit the sooner you have 5 GCSE's C or above including Maths and English.
    There are some college courses for Maths and English that are pre GCSE, take only weeks and would be worth doing. that would ne better evidence you have basic literacy and numeracy. They might also be free. contact your local college.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by airborne1122)
    What sort of part-time job is asking for GCSEs or are you just presuming? Write your CV like you are an adult, then there is no need to mention GCSEs at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.