• View Poll Results: Your choice:
    University 1 - Ranking+Prestige
    63.64%
    University 2 - Experience
    36.36%

ReputationRep:
    You have to pick between two universities. Choose one:

This university is highly ranked (top 5%), extremely prestigious, and well known. However, it does not offer much in the way of relevant work experience and any available places are heavily oversubscribed. At best you could maybe secure a single summer internship, but more likely you will end up graduating with no experience at all.

This university is low-ranked; in the bottom 50%. Your average person hasnt even heard of it. But it offers a full 12 month paid work experience year which it guarantees to every student. It also has great industry links and can supply a plethora of intership programs during holidays and gives a lot of help and advice to students applying to these places.

Which one would you go for and why?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Keyhofi)

This university is highly ranked (top 5%), extremely prestigious, and well known. However, it does not offer much in the way of relevant work experience and any available places are heavily oversubscribed. At best you could maybe secure a single summer internship, but more likely you will end up graduating with no experience at all.

This university is low-ranked; in the bottom 50%. Your average person hasnt even heard of it. But it offers a full 12 month paid work experience year which it guarantees to every student. It also has great industry links and can supply a plethora of intership programs during holidays and gives a lot of help and advice to students applying to these places.

Would probably go for the one where I could experience if it guarantees a 12 month placement!! Nowadays I think university should be way less about prestige and it's name, as there are a lot of unis which have no name, but are actually very very good, offering good placements, they just don't get the credit for it!

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick university 2. I would say that experience and industry links are more important than prestige these days

ReputationRep:
    Good points so far. Who picked the first uni? Care to post your reasoning?

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer: Option 2.

Long answer: I don't know, the options seem heavily favoured towards option 2, which I don't like. Of course people will pick option 2...can't you level it out a bit more? Option 1 is a top 5% university but is implied to have poor/no industry links? Also offering no relevant work experience? How does option 2 have more industry links than 1 when it's supposedly "bottom 50%" and option 1 is the top 5%?

Is this even a real example or just an extreme example?

ReputationRep:
    The general consensus is that it is contingent to the certain profession. Try competiting with an Oxbridge graduate for a doctorate role with a degree from an unknown university, and you'll have struggles. I'll be doing Chemical Engineering at Manchester in Sept, and although a highly prestigious member of the RG, it also has a high employability rate. So in essence, most of the better universities will give you a better preparation for the working life......

ReputationRep:
    I think the question is a little bit vague.

If the University 2 guarantees full 12 month paid work experiences at prestigious jobs like IB/Strategic consulting firms/Magic Circle etc to all students, then arguably most of the students will choose the University 2 even if the University 1 is Oxford or Cambridge. But if the guarantied jobs are shop workers at MacDonald, I don't think any students will pick the uni 1 over the uni 2.

In addition, If the question is in the first case, the uni 2 will quickly take over the prestige and ranking position of the uni 1. In fact, almost the same situation happened in France in the past. The professional schools called "grandes ecoles" had risen their popularity and prestige, and caused terrific falls of prestigious Sorbonne and all other French universities.

It's because of the super strong industrial connections and unfairly excellent job opportunities after graduation (almost racism against university graduates) . As a result, even non-French people today know the extraordinary fame of French professional schools (they may not know name of each school but many of them heard about grandes ecoles). So the situation in the question above will disappear very quickly.

I think I won't vote any because I can't judge which case is the one for the voting.

ReputationRep:
    You assume that a person at the highly ranked and prestigious University will not have experience. Take a look at the LSE for example. Most people there will do summer internships and have plenty experience, and jobs lined up, at graduation.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You don't really need to rely on a course-specific internship program, there are ways of getting internships independently?

ReputationRep:
    I think prestige might be better for flexibility and opening the range of career paths and opportunities to you (few employers would instantly toss your application straight in the bin if it says you went to Oxford). Unfortunately it is somewhat true that some universities are better for your prospects than others... that's why entry grades differ between them.

Going for the 'experience' may be very useful if it's for a specific career but you're a bit stuffed if you decide you want to do something else. If you don't have a specific career plan in mind then it's probably better to just get into the best university possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)

Obviously I would take the Ranking + Prestige. The reality is that if you really wanted an internship you can find one if you do enough resume submitting and door knocking/emailing. I've always been the type to look out for summer internship opportunities just for fun. There are so many internships at different universities that are open to everyone.

Taking the low ranked guaranteed internship is for the lazy.

ReputationRep:
    university 1 - i can find a 3 month placement in the summer holidays.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No. 1.

Option 2 will most likely bar me from getting a high-end prestigious job at an IB/top City law firm/strat house.

If I weren't interested in these industries, and I was more content with say, an engineering/finance job at some normal corporation/accounting, sure, I'd be happy to take no. 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely one. With a bloody good university, getting experience will be a lot easier than an unknown university and at the end of the day, i'll graduate WITH prestige/ranking PLUS experience while the other choice would lead me to graduating WITH experience but WITHOUT prestige/ranking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.