Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    the mass spectrum of cyclohexanol (6 carbons are present) has a prominent peak at mass/charge ratio 82. suggest the molecular formula of the fragment which causes the peak..

okay the markscheme put C6H10 (+)

i dont understand .. the OH group of the alcohol cannot be fragmented by itself .. so how is this answer possible..

ReputationRep:
    cyclohexanol is C6H12O
    so H20 has been removed/deflected

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i would like to find out the amount in tons of ethyl alcohol and acetic acid in 70 tons of ethyl acetate. Please help. Thank you.

C2H5OH + CH3COOH -----> C4H8O2 + H2O
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by arjun2127)
    Hi, i would like to find out the amount in tons of ethyl alcohol and acetic acid in 70 tons of ethyl acetate. Please help. Thank you.

There are precisely 0 tons of ethyl alcohol and acetic acid in 70 tons of ethyl acetate ...

... ethyl acetate is all ethyl acetate (it's in the name)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    the mass spectrum of cyclohexanol (6 carbons are present) has a prominent peak at mass/charge ratio 82. suggest the molecular formula of the fragment which causes the peak..

okay the markscheme put C6H10 (+)

i dont understand .. the OH group of the alcohol cannot be fragmented by itself .. so how is this answer possible..
    In a mass spec machine loads of crazy things happen. You've got to remember that this is a really extreme environment we're talking about here.

(Original post by arjun2127)

You mean the amount after hydrolysing it with 100% yield?

To do that you work out the number of moles of ethyl acetate (1tonne = 1000kg = 1000000g) then multiply by the Mr of acetic acid and by the Mr of ethanol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batoot)
    cyclohexanol is C6H12O
    so H20 has been removed/deflected
    oh yes.. thanks x but can the OH from an alcohol be fragmented in its own in the mass spectrum??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    In a mass spec machine loads of crazy things happen. You've got to remember that this is a really extreme environment we're talking about here.

To do that you work out the number of moles of ethyl acetate (1tonne = 1000kg = 1000000g) then multiply by the Mr of acetic acid and by the Mr of ethanol.

I just need to find the approx. amount. Is there any factor to multipy with?

ReputationRep:
    Well, you'd need to know the yield. With that you could then multiply the amounts from the previous calculation by a decimal equivalent of the yield to find an approximate for the amounts formed.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.