Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Having Trouble Finding Part-Time Work at University? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I live in London and I've applied to SO MANY job opportunities (usually in the food/beverage sector) and to no avail.
    I've done a lot of online applications as well as handing in a few in person (atleast over 100 in total) and to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    If you're a student, I would firstly recommend seeing if your University or Union have any work for students. This is the best way to work while you're studying as they'll pay well, they won't be overly demanding in terms of when you work as they'll understand you're studying too and if they're making a point of hiring students, they might be happy to accept people with less experience. I work for my uni's careers service and I've found this to be true.

For more general advice I would recommend really selling yourself for that role. That means tailoring your CV, showing how whatever experience you do have is particularly relevant and what skills it has given you. Handing out your CV in person will also usually be more successful, and follow them up! When you hand over your CV to someone that's advertising that they're hiring, ask them how you should expect to hear back from them? If you're handing your CV out speculatively (they haven't advertised any vacancies), ask how you should get in touch to check in on your application - ie. should you email, call, drop in, is there anyone in particular you should ask for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tealites)
    I live in London and I've applied to SO MANY job opportunities (usually in the food/beverage sector) and to no avail.
    I've done a lot of online applications as well as handing in a few in person (atleast over 100 in total) and to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?
    Look for jobs at your university. I go to Newman University and they have various opportunities for students. You can work in the cafe, bar, starbucks, library, reception and others.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.