Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi! i'm starting teacher training in september, but currently i really need a job to tide me over til then. like i do seasonal work, which has been fine til this point, but it's really dried up so i'm basically skint!

i wanted to ask if, when applying for retail type jobs, you mention your school experience? because i feel like it's put employers off in the past, since it makes it seem like i'm not committed....and i mean i'm kind of not haha, but i'm not sure what else i'm supposed to do? i've tried applying for school based jobs but there's less opportunity for that and they tend to go to someone with a bit more experience than myself!

i know it's a bit late in the year but if i could find something it would be great. what are people's experiences with this? do you think mentioning school experience is a bad idea? because on one hand it shows organisation and communication skills, but then again...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Dont look at it as school experience , but focus on the skills you acquired amd how they would make you better at the job you are applying for.
    Can you work in a team? Can you deal with difficult individuals? Can you spot problems? Talk effectively to different people etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Dont look at it as school experience , but focus on the skills you acquired amd how they would make you better at the job you are applying for.
    Can you work in a team? Can you deal with difficult individuals? Can you spot problems? Talk effectively to different people etc.
    hmmmm yeah that's basically what i try to do, but now you've mentioned it i think my cv could use some rearranging so the skills are the first thing you see, because atm it's like i go into the skills i learned at each job/experience i've had, which probably isn't the most effective way of showcasing it. i try to make it more specific to the job in the cover letter of course, but i think the cv layout isn't working for retail jobs.

thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Keep it short and focus on service. Use the company website as well as looking in shop windows or making enquiries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Keep it short and focus on service. Use the company website as well as looking in shop windows or making enquiries.
    thank you I have a tendency to waffle so i'll keep it brief!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Point is its a temp job, they dont wnat your life story and you wont be there long. Give them what they need to tell them you can do the job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.