Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student (in my final year of law school) and I'm going on a date with someone who earns money, probably somewhere between £25,000 - £50,000 (I understand that's a really big gap but with the stage of the profession they're in earnings really vary).

I have money from a grant and I'm going to be earning a good amount of money when I start work later this year. I would like to treat her to the first date but I can't help thinking that if I insist to do this I'm being sexist. She is clearly in a better position than I am.

If she wants to go halves should I let her? I want to treat her but I don't want to appear antiquated in my views!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Howbeit)
    I'm a student (in my final year of law school) and I'm going on a date with someone who earns money, probably somewhere between £25,000 - £50,000 (I understand that's a really big gap but with the stage of the profession they're in earnings really vary).

I have money from a grant and I'm going to be earning a good amount of money when I start work later this year. I would like to treat her to the first date but I can't help thinking that if I insist to do this I'm being sexist. She is clearly in a better position than I am.

If she wants to go halves should I let her? I want to treat her but I don't want to appear antiquated in my views!
    If she wants to go halves then i don't see why not
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Never understand why people get in such a tiz about these things. Its all about politeness and respecting the other person.

My rule is if I do the invite, then Im agreeing to pay as the other person is my guest.
    I will pay, but if the person requests to go Dutch, then thats fine, although if there is a wage disparity I might offer again, but if declined go with whatever their wish is.
    The other person can pay for drinks or take turns.

If you do some dates and the person never offers, then you have to decide if you are being leeched.
    If you do several dates and the person wont let you go Dutch (despite requests) or pay for anything, then that's someone who doesn't listen and tries to buy their way in.

ReputationRep:
    Poluteness.... What is that? 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't get what the earnings have to do with anything? At the end of the day, you go somewhere affordable.

If someone is earning a certain amount more than you, you go where you can afford, and buy what you can afford. You carry yourself on this date, as you would on all other dates, regardless of the earnings. If you were going to go dutch anyway, then do it. If you were going to pay for her, do it - just go somewhere you can afford.

I find people who figure that someone earns x amount therefore they must pay y, is a little petty. You don't know her financial situation (especially if you're going on a first date), so basing your decision on what she earns is rather top line.

ReputationRep:
    My first dates are always in just regular bars, I don't get into a discussion about it I just pay for the first round and almost always they pay for the second.

Maybe I'm just a good judge of character and don't experience gold diggers so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lambert87)
    Poluteness.... What is that? 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have no idea what poluteness is either. Doesn't sound like it'd be good for the environment.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.