Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I really like learning languages currently I am learning Mandarin and french.I find french really boring as it is not as challenging and I find it not very interesting.I am really tempted to learn Korean and Japanese is well.So my question is if I knew how to read,write and speak Mandarin to a fairly good level not fluent but quite well would it make it much easier for me to learn Korean or Japanese?

ReputationRep:
    Well, although they may sound/look similar, they are in fact quite different. I would say that Korean would be easiest to learn since is an alphabet (hangul) with sounds for each character. Speaking wise, if you already speak Mandarin, then the pronunciation shouldn't be too hard for Korean and Japanese. Some words in Mandarin sound similar to Korean and they mean the same thing (speech wise). Japanese characters resonate more with Mandarin than Korean....

I only speak Mandarin fluently but I do have experience with some Korean and Japanese although what I've said could be wrong. Hope it helped though x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBonfire)
    Well, although they may sound/look similar, they are in fact quite different. I would say that Korean would be easiest to learn since is an alphabet (hangul) with sounds for each character. Speaking wise, if you already speak Mandarin, then the pronunciation shouldn't be too hard for Korean and Japanese. Some words in Mandarin sound similar to Korean and they mean the same thing (speech wise). Japanese characters resonate more with Mandarin than Korean....

I only speak Mandarin fluently but I do have experience with some Korean and Japanese although what I've said could be wrong. Hope it helped though x
    Are you a native speaker?If not what are some effective ways of learning Mandarin?

ReputationRep:
    Not really.. Seeing as Korean is a totally unrelated language isolate and mandarin is a tonal language with 4 tones whereas Korean is not not tonal - Korean and mandarin no longer share a writing system and it is structured differently to mandarin. In terms of Japanese I know that some of the kanji have similar meaning in both languages, hiragana and katakana also play a large part in reading and writing Japanese, so you wouldn't be able to read everything completely. Being fluent in mandarin wouldn't make you fluent in Korean or Japanese or anywhere near there. Remember that all three languages are unrelated in terms of language families and therefore do not share many similarities other than the common writing system that Japanese and Chinese share.
    In terms of learning Korean or Japanese from scratch I'd say that Korean is much easier to learn since it uses one writing system, Hangul, that is an alphabet like English has which makes it easier to read and write. Japanese uses three writing systems of which you would have to learn two completely and relearn the kanji in case they have separate meanings in Chinese.
    In short, it would be easier for you to learn Cantonese haha

ReputationRep:
    Mandarin is in the Sino-Tibetan language family, Korean is in the Koreanic language family and Japanese is in the Japonic language family. This shows you from a basic level that the languages developed differently. I'll say that the major common thing between the three languages is that at times they have all used the Chinese writing system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria1812)
    Are you a native speaker?If not what are some effective ways of learning Mandarin?
    Sort of,
    I would say practicing the writing strokes often as well as reading children's book with pinyin really helps. For speaking and listening, watching Chinese tv shows and movies with subtitles is a fun and easy way to get better. Bonus: Most mandarin movies and tv shows are pretty good

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.