Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello!
    so i've just made cardiff my firm choice for undergrad psychology and i have NO IDEA which accomodation to pick. on my open day i visited senghennyd, which i didn't love and i can't find any opinions of online. i was also thinking talybont, but it seems really far away from the psych department + student union.
    does anyone have any opinions about the best accomodation for psychology? like the most students, closest, etc.

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've also firmed my offer for psychology at cardiff!
    I've applied for talybont court/gate as my top options, but they're the most expensive so may not be for everyone. Court is a little closer, and I've heard it's nice, but gate is brand new.
    The most popular accommodation is talybont south/north, I guess, because it's where the most students are. Yeah, it is quite a way to walk but there'll definitely people from your course who will be living there that you can walk to/from lectures with. All the talybont accommodations are en suite as well, I think!
    There are other accommodations closer to the psychology department like aberdare hall which is really nice and literally a 1 minute walk to the building but it's female only. I've heard colum hall is quite loud? But I'm not really one to ask about that.
    Take a look at the 'compare residences' place on the Cardiff website, which is really useful in deciding which accommodation is best
    Anyway, I hope that helps a little!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aquamelon)
    hello!
    so i've just made cardiff my firm choice for undergrad psychology and i have NO IDEA which accomodation to pick. on my open day i visited senghennyd, which i didn't love and i can't find any opinions of online. i was also thinking talybont, but it seems really far away from the psych department + student union.
    does anyone have any opinions about the best accomodation for psychology? like the most students, closest, etc.

thanks!
    Taly is a little walk away from psych (20 mins ish, maybe slightly more if you're a slow walker), but in my opinion is the best option (though of course I'm biased by my good memories of Talybont South!) Although there's more of a walk than colum hall or sengenydd there will always be friends to walk with as Taly is where the majority live. I feel like there's much less community-feel in the smaller halls.

In terms of nice-ness, there is a lot of variation within each hall as they don't all get renovated at the same time (so some Taly South have new paint, cupboards, carpets etc and others don't). However as a general guide (again, obviously just my opinion): Taly Gate is newest and nicest, then Taly Court, then Taly South, then I would group Taly North & Sengenydd together. Not to say that either of those are 'horrible', just the others are a little nicer! I wont comment on any other halls as I havent been in them. As long as you dont get univeristy halls you'll be fine (no one likes to get a bus every day).

I lived in south and loved it because it was 'middle of the road' in terms of niceness and price...and is also not quite as far from uni as north & gate (though gate didnt exist in my time!)

ReputationRep:
    Taly South is probably most popular but any of the Talys are great for social scene.
    Colum Hall can be quite noisy but ok generally.
    Senghennydd is perfect location-wise. I'm in Senghennydd Hall (ensuite, part-catered) and it's great! They definitely aren't massively partying flats but there is still stuff going on. There are also only 108 of us so we know most of the people in our halls.
    Senghennydd Court isn't as bad as you'd think although it is definitely starting to show its age. But again, location and price is great so I really think they are redeeming factors!
    Aberdare Hall I don't know much about but is fairly good location-wise but I haven't really heard of many people saying it's good for the social aspect. Like people get on but it's not as lively as other halls.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 9, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.