Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically they are saying "I'm not eligible for fee support, maintenance loan, maintenance grant or special support grant while studying on my new course" As you can imagine, when I opened the letter I was devastated.

2014 - 2015 I did what was suppose to be a HND in games development. I found the course terrible because the teaching standard was not there. I wanted to drop out however all advice I requested pointed at me to stay and finish the first year, giving me a HNC. This was funded by student finance at £4000. However while trying to collect my certificates, the exam board are saying I don't have all of my units and therefore I haven't passed. My ex tutor is saying I have but wont do anything about it. So I'm really confused.

2015 - 2016 (this current academic year) I've done a foundation art course and funded it myself. I've always wanted to do art but was forced down a scientific path until I didn't make the cut with my bad A-level results and was finally getting the chance to do so. I got in at Leeds college of art to do a BA in animation and was over the moon.

I asked my tutor about student fiance and they said they should provide it, so I sent off the form with high hopes and then today I found out that they wont give me anything. I was absolutely destroyed. I can't afford £9000 plus the cost of living in Leeds. On top of all this my depression is getting worse and my anxiety is making me nervous I can't bring myself to ring them until I've gathered some advice.

I don't know what to do. I know I need to ring up student fiance but I don't know how to go about it. I can't just shout "give me the money" down the phone. I'm so stuck and in tears any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You really do need to speak to student finance on the phone - they are really helpful - ask them why they think you aren't eligible from the information that you have already provided them with - as you have only had one previous years student finance for your HNC - I wouldn't have thought that was a problem - ask them to walk through your application with you - once you have got it sorted you could apply for Disabled students allowance (student finance should also be able to help you with this)- if you are suffering from anxiety / depression or OCD you may be eligible for support in the form of claiming back the price difference between an ordinary room and en-suite in university accommodation - a letter from your doctor would be needed -just make sure you get the name of the person you speak to - good luck! and don't worry about speaking to them on the phone - it's like worrying when you are going into an interview - if you stuff it up you aren't going to see them / speak to them again - just ring again and you're pretty much guaranteed to get someone else on the phone as it's such a big call centre.

ReputationRep:
    Also be sure to get the college you did the hnc with the chase up your certificate.

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of a course and started a new degree after finishing (most of) my first year and am being fully funded by student finance, I see no reason why you shouldn't be (believe me, I spent ages checking up on the regulations and EVERYONE gets an extra year's funding for these kind of circumstances). Do call them up, I've fixed a lot of mistakes on both mine and their parts by actually speaking to a human being. Explain your circumstances and make sure all the paperwork from your old course is tied up, because these things are always a bureaucratic nightmare and things get lost along the way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.