The Student Room Group

E-mailing lecturer evidence of points made in a recently submitted report?

Hello,I study BSc Software Engineering and am currently in my 2nd year of university. For my Software Engineering unit, part of the weight for my mark at the end of the year is in the form of an individual reflective report, based upon my experiences in a group project. Prior to completing my report, I had emailed my lecturer for the unit about issues with the group that have affected my performance and after a lengthy conversation with him he told me, in essence, to try write the best report I can despite having done little within the group and hope that I "scrape a pass depending on your grade in the exam". Now, I know that at least one of the members in my group will be talking me down in their individual reflective report, however I chose to be as equal and professional as possible when talking about issues and contingencies within my own report. For one of the major points I made, I have evidence in the form of a screenshot on social media that backs up that particular claim - which is one of the major issues regarding our group project, however, I decided not to include this evidence in my report to avoid being unprofessional. My question is, seeing as the report is still yet to be marked by the lecturer, is it a good idea to email him providing this particular piece of evidence that will back up my claim? Would it be a detriment my mark in any way? I am fairly sure that he will be cross-referencing my report with the reports of my group members to check for consistency, and I know for a fact that most of the group have sat down with each other to work on their reports to make sure their stories are all similar. The only other thing I can think of doing is waiting for the marks, and if I get marked down on the section where I've discussed issues within the group because he took their combined words over mine, I will show him the evidence and request that my work be remarked - however I'm not sure this is possible.So at this point I'm very anxious and unsure about what to do, any help would be appreciated - thanks.
Original post by onanera
Hello,I study BSc Software Engineering and am currently in my 2nd year of university. For my Software Engineering unit, part of the weight for my mark at the end of the year is in the form of an individual reflective report, based upon my experiences in a group project. Prior to completing my report, I had emailed my lecturer for the unit about issues with the group that have affected my performance and after a lengthy conversation with him he told me, in essence, to try write the best report I can despite having done little within the group and hope that I "scrape a pass depending on your grade in the exam". Now, I know that at least one of the members in my group will be talking me down in their individual reflective report, however I chose to be as equal and professional as possible when talking about issues and contingencies within my own report. For one of the major points I made, I have evidence in the form of a screenshot on social media that backs up that particular claim - which is one of the major issues regarding our group project, however, I decided not to include this evidence in my report to avoid being unprofessional. My question is, seeing as the report is still yet to be marked by the lecturer, is it a good idea to email him providing this particular piece of evidence that will back up my claim? Would it be a detriment my mark in any way? I am fairly sure that he will be cross-referencing my report with the reports of my group members to check for consistency, and I know for a fact that most of the group have sat down with each other to work on their reports to make sure their stories are all similar. The only other thing I can think of doing is waiting for the marks, and if I get marked down on the section where I've discussed issues within the group because he took their combined words over mine, I will show him the evidence and request that my work be remarked - however I'm not sure this is possible.So at this point I'm very anxious and unsure about what to do, any help would be appreciated - thanks.

I'd suggest contacting your lecturer and explaining that you've worked hard to keep your report unbiased and professional but that you're worried that your group members might not have done the same and might have tried to use the reflective report to attack you personally.

Remind him of your earlier conversation and re-iterate the problems you have encountered mentioning that you have screenshots as evidence of the events if he would like it.

A short reminder and mention of the evidence is better than silence or trying to blow this out of proportion. Hopefully he'll be able to reassure you:smile: You'll also have evidence that you've made him aware of the situation if you need to make any appeal later on.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
I'd suggest contacting your lecturer and explaining that you've worked hard to keep your report unbiased and professional but that you're worried that your group members might not have done the same and might have tried to use the reflective report to attack you personally.

Remind him of your earlier conversation and re-iterate the problems you have encountered mentioning that you have screenshots as evidence of the events if he would like it.

A short reminder and mention of the evidence is better than silence or trying to blow this out of proportion. Hopefully he'll be able to reassure you:smile: You'll also have evidence that you've made him aware of the situation if you need to make any appeal later on.

Thank you, sounds like a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending