Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey.
    I am in year 11 and I have done Army Cadets for a very long time but in high school I haven't done DOE bronze or silver and for college I would love to do DOE Gold if its possible? Any Advice if I should start from Bronze ?

ReputationRep:
    You have to be 16 to complete God DofE. You have to do 12 months volunteering and for Physical and Skills you have to do 12 months of one and 6 months of the other.
    If you haven't completed silver you must complete an additional 6 months of any one of the sections. I would suggest adding this 6 months to whichever section you would only be doing for 6 months anyway. This way you will be doing all sections for year.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably do Bronze and then Gold, you need to do bronze to make mistakes. We made loads of mistakes on bronze, taking too many clothes, not enough food, no sun cream (I still have the mark on my neck where I burnt it), we got lost etc. Definitely do bronze! Silver is just a long dragged out version of bronze.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, just skip straight to gold. No point wasting time doing the others.

ReputationRep:
    well I have done bronze and am actively carrying out my silver, I have thoroughly enjoyed both - so if it was me, I would do all of them to gain experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSam3)
    Nah, just skip straight to gold. No point wasting time doing the others.

I'm inclined to agree with this especially if there's been a lot of outdoorsy stuff with the cadets. Otherwise I'd recommend doing one of the lower levels because as someone else has pointed out a complete novice would be a liability to the rest of the group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    I'm inclined to agree with this especially if there's been a lot of outdoorsy stuff with the cadets. Otherwise I'd recommend doing one of the lower levels because as someone else has pointed out a complete novice would be a liability to the rest of the group.
    I mean... it's not like most of the people going into gold D of E are actually competent enough to be safe anyway, so it doesn't make much difference. Frankly, the majority of DofE groups are liabilities all on their own: the OP is almost certainly not going to be the one dragging anybody down.

ReputationRep:
    I mean... it's not like most of the people going into gold D of E are actually competent enough to be safe anyway, so it doesn't make much difference. Frankly, the majority of DofE groups are liabilities all on their own: the OP is almost certainly not going to be the one dragging anybody down.
    Some groups may be incompetent, I can't speak for them however mine certainly wasn't. Probably because the year before, five of us had been in Africa for a month living out of our rucksacks and undertaking some exceptionally tough physical challenges for which we had to do a lot of prep and training. We were just back from Africa a week when we did our silver. It was a walk in the park by comparison! Africa was also great training for managing the rigours of hiking in the Alps laden down with kit. The group member who hadn't been on that expedition really struggled with the Alps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    Some groups may be incompetent, I can't speak for them however mine certainly wasn't. Probably because the year before, five of us had been in Africa for a month living out of our rucksacks and undertaking some exceptionally tough physical challenges for which we had to do a lot of prep and training. We were just back from Africa a week when we did our silver. It was a walk in the park by comparison! Africa was also great training for managing the rigours of hiking in the Alps laden down with kit. The group member who hadn't been on that expedition really struggled with the Alps.
    I spend a fair amount of time supervising D of E groups. I've got a big enough sample size at this point to be pretty confident in saying that the majority are incompetent. When I did mine, I similarly organised a competent group, but unlike yours, it was a competent group almost entirely composed of direct entrants.

ReputationRep:
    I spend a fair amount of time supervising D of E groups. I've got a big enough sample size at this point to be pretty confident in saying that the majority are incompetent. When I did mine, I similarly organised a competent group, but unlike yours, it was a competent group almost entirely composed of direct entrants.
    I think another advantage we had apart from the Africa expedition was the fact we went through the three levels together. We probably were very incompetent when we did bronze but by the time we did silver and gold that was no longer an issue with our level of organisation and preparedness being highly recommended. Despite the rigours of the Bakota gorge etc etc hiking in the Alps wasn't a walk in the park. I really enjoyed the physical and mental challenge of these expeditions as did most of our group. I guess we were just pretty lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    well I have done bronze and am actively carrying out my silver, I have thoroughly enjoyed both - so if it was me, I would do all of them to gain experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah but i do army cadets which is harder than DofE

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.