Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went to the Bristol open day last week and was not at all impressed. Nobody was very welcoming and it didn't seem to be organised too well (compared to open days I've been to at Warwick, Exeter and Oxford). However, I don't want to rule it out completely... did anyone currenly studying at Bristol not get a feel for the place at first? I'm looking to study economics and the course looks great but I was let down by the place itself Anyone feel the same or disagree?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the same, I thought it was unfriendly and hilly. I hate hills. Im lazy. But im going there anyway, I love the course!

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked it but some of the organization was poor. I ended up having to tell one of the students 'organizing' the bus service to Temple Meads to f*ck off because of how rude he was being. Ironic I know. Basically, me and my friends had been queueing, and then they changed the queue without telling us. We had to get the bus to get back on our train, so patience was running low..

ReputationRep:
    I thought the people in the languages and archaeology departments were fantastic; the best I've been to so far.

ReputationRep:
    Glad it wasn't just me. I thought the hills were a nightmare... but when I went to Exeter the day after I knew what real hills were!

At Bristol I didn't get to see any accomodation or the union. I asked, and was told I couldn't see either? Somebody told me if I wanted to see the union I had to go by myself and catch a bus somewhere and I knew I'd get lost if I had to do that!

ReputationRep:
    hey you! i thought the same too! im going in sept as i think the course rules! im sure there is lots to do etc etc after all is a hugeeeee city so i doubt they could have shown us everything anyway! by the way - to all of those who got the bus to stoke bishop --- what on earth was going on with the gate?!?! i mean it was like 30cm in size!! haha!! please reply! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestdeceptions)
    I went to the Bristol open day last week and was not at all impressed. Nobody was very welcoming and it didn't seem to be organised too well (compared to open days I've been to at Warwick, Exeter and Oxford). However, I don't want to rule it out completely... did anyone currenly studying at Bristol not get a feel for the place at first? I'm looking to study economics and the course looks great but I was let down by the place itself Anyone feel the same or disagree?
    That's exactly what some of my friends said. They said it was all badly organised, not sign posted, the tutors were unwelcoming, the buildings were horrible, there was a lack of facilities, it was quite a distance from the centre etc...Although Bristol has a good reputation there's no point applying somewhere that you don't like. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    did you go to it trinity? the tutors unwelcoming bit --- i would have to disagree there mine were very enthusiastic. no offence. however i agree with the buildings!! the accom they were 'showing off' was crap!!! i mean why didnt they show us durdham or goldney!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThE_OnE)
    did you go to it trinity? the tutors unwelcoming bit --- i would have to disagree there mine were very enthusiastic. no offence. however i agree with the buildings!! the accom they were 'showing off' was crap!!! i mean why didnt they show us durdham or goldney!!!
    Nope I didn't go - they said the tutors were dull, a bit snooty and not very helpful...I guess there were different talks ?!

ReputationRep:
    what were they applying for? (subject) ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThE_OnE)
    however i agree with the buildings!! the accom they were 'showing off' was crap!!! i mean why didnt they show us durdham or goldney!!!
    same happened when i looked round last year. you have to remember that a lot of the accommodation isn't available to look round because students are in residence still, or work is being carried out.

my dad and i managed to look at Wills while it was closed to the general public though, as we asked the wardens

plus, uni accommodation is more-or-less the same wherever you go - crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meghan)
    same happened when i looked round last year. you have to remember that a lot of the accommodation isn't available to look round because students are in residence still, or work is being carried out.

my dad and i managed to look at Wills while it was closed to the general public though, as we asked the wardens

plus, uni accommodation is more-or-less the same wherever you go - crap.
    out of interest, why do you say wills was crap, you've got to have had your eyes shut ;0)

I have to admit my open daywas a pile of rubbish, totally disorganised, i saew nothing but my depatment but i love the place now and wouldn't change uni's for the world

ReputationRep:
    I went to the Sci & Med Open Day today. It was quite annoying, they wouldn't let us go upstairs in the geography dept, so all we saw of that was a tiny little display. Also, i hate the fact that the buildings are so ancient, i prefer modern and 'green'ness - it seemed quite dull. When i was in the chem dept, the woman was a right cow to me; even though i don't do chem and have no interest in it i was just browsing and she basically told me to go away as i don't do chem. Mooooooooo. The hills and the city are also very unappealing. So i will not be applying there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    out of interest, why do you say wills was crap, you've got to have had your eyes shut ;0)

I have to admit my open daywas a pile of rubbish, totally disorganised, i saew nothing but my depatment but i love the place now and wouldn't change uni's for the world
    Wills = hogwarts

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I do have to say - I ignored my bad hunch about KCL and London, went and got depressed and ended up dropping out. Don't ignore your hunches!

p.s. I'm applying to Bristol next year, I have lots of close family there and I like it, but that's my personal opinion, it IS full of scary southerners and Oxbridge rejects lol

ReputationRep:
    I might still apply there if I run out of choices, but at the moment there are quite a few other unis I really like so I'll definitely put them first! I'm pretty worried anyway about going to a new place with new people away from home, so I want to go somewhere where people are friendly and welcoming and I know I will enjoy it! Bristol just didn't do that for me.

ReputationRep:
    I might still apply there if I run out of choices, but at the moment there are quite a few other unis I really like so I'll definitely put them first! I'm pretty worried anyway about going to a new place with new people away from home, so I want to go somewhere where people are friendly and welcoming and I know I will enjoy it! Bristol just didn't do that for me.
    Wow, you feel exactly the same as me! Those words could have come right out of my mouth

ReputationRep:

What did u think about their economics department?

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to Bristol in September to do English if I get the grades, and to be honest I loved it from the first time I visited. I went to the open day last summer and straight away liked the city, the department, the people, just everything about it. I went back in March after having got an offer and if anything it just seemed better, and the departmental open day was extremely well-run and useful. No other uni I visited quite lived up to my first impressions of Bristol. It's such a personal thing though and if you can't imagine living somewhere for 3 years, it might be best not to risk being unhappy. Or perhaps pay another visit if you get the chance and have a look around by yourself on a normal day, and see if your opinions change. Good luck wherever you end up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    What did u think about their economics department?
    I got to the building and there were no signs or anything to show me where to go and I couldn't seem to get in. I finally went round the side and just walked down different coridoors until I found the room where tutors were and information was set out. No one said anything when I walked in and no one welcomed me.. they just ignored me. The course looked good, but I didn't like the people/place.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.