The Student Room Group

6th and 14th June 2016 - AQA GCSE History B *Official Exam Thread*

AQA GCSE History B Official Thread
Dates of Exam: 06/06/2016 & 14/06/2016

Hey,
Realised we didn't have an official thread for history this year so thought I would make it for everyone :h:
We have 66 days until our unit 1 exam :redface:
How is everybody finding all of the history content so far?
How are you planning on revising for the exam?
If anybody has any good resources, make sure to post them below so that everybody can benefit from them :smile:

In terms of revision guides, the best one that I can recommend is:
"AQA GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide Second Edition - Ben Walsh"
If you're doing Unit 6 (like me) it is the only book that actually covers the content so I really recommend it :smile:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY

Scroll to see replies

Hey :biggrin:
I'm really starting to get super nervous about history! :s-smilie: Especially the last bit of the Cold War! I adore the subject but I really hate the exams and always run out of time! Do you have any tips for the actual exams and not running out of time!? Hope you're revision is going well! :wink:
Reply 2
Does anyone here do unit 2- Peacemaking and the League of Nations that could hep me?
What topics is everyone doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lunaticash19995
What topics is everyone doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:
Paper 1: topics 4, 5 and 6
Paper 2: topics 1, 4 and 7

you? :h:
Original post by surina16
Hi :smile:
Paper 1: topics 4, 5 and 6
Paper 2: topics 1, 4 and 7

you? :h:

Paper 1: topics 2, 3 and 4
Paper 2: topics 2, (4 or 5) and 8

For paper 2 Section B we got an option. Don't ask my why.
Reply 6
Is anyone doing the new unit about the UN and stuff after the Cold War? It's killing me urgh
Which paper in your opinion is the hardest? Xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by etata
Is anyone doing the new unit about the UN and stuff after the Cold War? It's killing me urgh

Omg! That has to be the worst part of the course for me! Even our teacher hated it and didn't understand why the exam board stupidly stuck it on the end of our specification!
Reply 9
Original post by PrincessGrace123
Omg! That has to be the worst part of the course for me! Even our teacher hated it and didn't understand why the exam board stupidly stuck it on the end of our specification!

I'm finding it so hard to revise because there are literally no revision resources for it online! And I have no idea which facts we need to know, I'm just praying there won't be a question on it.
How can you get a spag mark of 6? is it just about spelling and stuff or does it require other things?
Original post by etata
I'm finding it so hard to revise because there are literally no revision resources for it online! And I have no idea which facts we need to know, I'm just praying there won't be a question on it.

Same :frown: I'm pretty sure it came up last year so fingers crossed it won't again :frown: xx
Does anybody know how to answer 6 mark questions because those are the ones I find the hardest? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Original post by jodess_
Does anyone here do unit 2- Peacemaking and the League of Nations that could hep me?

Yeah i can help you!
Original post by sammychu00
Does anybody know how to answer 6 mark questions because those are the ones I find the hardest? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Point evidence explain! Answer the question, give a statistic or qoute or evidence from the event you are talking about then explain your point. Aim two explain two different points however the mark scheme does say 3 basic points could be awarded 6 marks! so if in doubt do three points!! and Explain as much as you can.

On paper 1, do one paragraph on the content of the source referring back to the suggestion given in the question and then do a second paragraph on the purpose and provenance of the source and how that affects its reliability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do Topics 2,3,4 and I feel okay about it :smile:
Reply 17

On paper 1 use ADPA (Agree Disagree Provenance (who what where when why etc) Agreement (how far you agree with the source))

For paper 2 you need two really developed paragraphs with as much of your own knowledge you can remember. Just make sure you organise your answer well (don't use random facts just to bulk out your answer, they must be relevant to your point and the question) and don't do an intro or conclusion, you'll get absolutely no credit for it
Anyone else bricking it for the exam tomorrow? :cry:

so many random dates, events and statistics to learn :bricks:
Original post by surina16
Anyone else bricking it for the exam tomorrow? :cry:

so many random dates, events and statistics to learn :bricks:

I'm more worried about analysing sources, exam technique because I've got the knowledge but you could still get 5/10 if you don't write correctly for example :frown:

Quick Reply