Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    https://5505b400f275fd9f29b9b4679ca5...%20Physics.pdf

Please help me with Question 7 part C... I cannot understand how to calculate that without knowing the refractive index of the liquid. :/ Is there something I'm missing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    https://5505b400f275fd9f29b9b4679ca5...%20Physics.pdf

Please help me with Question 7 part C... I cannot understand how to calculate that without knowing the refractive index of the liquid. :/ Is there something I'm missing?
    Read the last line of the question

ReputationRep:
    At this point the angle of refraction is 27º and the ray is totallyinternally reflected at P for the first time.

"for the first time".... does that mean that the critical occurs when the angle of refraction is 27 degrees :/ ?

(Original post by Spelly456)
    Read the last line of the question

ReputationRep:
    At this point the angle of refraction is 27º and the ray is totallyinternally reflected at P for the first time.

"for the first time".... does that mean that the critical occurs when the angle of refraction is 27 degrees :/ ?
    No, you need to use a triangle to find the critical angle

ReputationRep:

Think about which angle you will be measuring as the critical angle when you consider the water-glass boundary. You're almost right!

ReputationRep:
    So what is the calculation required for the answer? its only a 1 marker? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellomynameisr)
    So what is the calculation required for the answer? its only a 1 marker? lol
    90-27 = 63 degrees
    That is the answer
    Remember the critical angle is the angle between the boundary and the normal. You can draw a right-angled triangle to show the required angle

ReputationRep:
    90-27 = 63 degrees
    That is the answer
    Remember the critical angle is the angle between the boundary and the normal. You can draw a right-angled triangle to show the required angle
    Oh right, I see. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    90-27 = 63 degrees
    That is the answer

still slightly confuzzled sorry.... So I've drawn a new diagram... part a says to continue the ray that's been totally internally reflected..So I drew the ray reflected off the bounday and coming out of the glass. I didn't do any calculations.

Am I correct in saying the ray of light, when striking the boundary between liquid and glass, strikes at the angle of 63 degrees... this can be figured out using 90-27 = 63.... But I don't understand how that is the critical angle. My understanding of the critical angle is that the angle of refraction must be 90 degrees.. Does this mean my diagram in part A is wrong and that the ray should continue at 90 degrees from the normal and continue travelling along the boundary :/

ReputationRep:
    90-27 = 63 degrees
    That is the answer
    I just read the examiners report :
    For part (c), candidates needed to realise the incident angle had just passed the critical angleand therefore the critical angle would be 63° to two significant figures.

Why has it "just" passed the critical angle... why can't it have passed the critical angle by a large amount? what tells us that its only passed the critical angle "slightly"?

ReputationRep:
    For part (c), candidates needed to realise the incident angle had just passed the critical angleand therefore the critical angle would be 63° to two significant figures.

Why has it "just" passed the critical angle... why can't it have passed the critical angle by a large amount? what tells us that its only passed the critical angle "slightly"?
    In the question it says the ray is totally internally reflected for the first time so 63 degrees is just after the critical angle. You are right that at the critical angle the angle of refraction is 90 degrees so the critical angle would be slightly below 63 degrees.
    Hope this makes sense.

ReputationRep:

The reason you quote the answer as 63 degrees is due to rounding of 62.99999

ReputationRep:
    In the question it says the ray is totally internally reflected for the first time so 63 degrees is just after the critical angle. You are right that at the critical angle the angle of refraction is 90 degrees so the critical angle would be slightly below 63 degrees.
    Hope this makes sense.
    Yep it makes sense thanks! However when it comes to generalising... If a similar question was to come up and it stated that it was "totally internally reflected for the first time"... would this again mean that the critical angle is slightly below the angle of incidence (in ANY situation)?

ReputationRep:
    Yep it makes sense thanks! However when it comes to generalising... If a similar question was to come up and it stated that it was "totally internally reflected for the first time"... would this again mean that the critical angle is slightly below the angle of incidence (in ANY situation)?
    Yes it would do

ReputationRep:
    Yes it would do
    That's great Thanks a bunch dude!

ReputationRep:
    That's great Thanks a bunch dude!
    No problem, happy to help!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.