Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How has Glasgow evolved into Britain's most dangerous violent city? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is by far the most dangerous city in Britain for knife crime. Gangs are out of control and police are losing control of some neighbourhoods.

A lot of the attacks are gang related but some are totally unprovoked. One case is where a Hungarian man was waiting at a bus stop and was asked for a cigarette by a youth. He gave him a ciggie and a few moments later got stabbed to death for no reason.

A lot of people say its social deprivation, but other cities in Britain have social deprivation but no where near the violence and gang related activity that exists in Glasgow. Neither is it a Scottish problem. Gang activity and violence in Edinburgh, Aberdeen etc is virtually non existent.

Could it be that sentences are more lenient in Scotland?

So how has Glasgow gained its reputation for knife crime and feral gangs?

ReputationRep:
    Buckfast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They have a collective inferiority complex which manifests itself in violence and frustration.

This anger comes from the fact they are overshadowed and constantly confused as being the same as English people, when in fact they view themselves as a different people.

ReputationRep:
    gawd glasgow doesn't count as britain - she's not cool enough to sit with us down here in the england + wales club. like, ew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Buckfast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I found some buckfast on a bus once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I found some buckfast on a bus once
    It is great stuff.

ReputationRep:
    No idea.

It is in Scotland.

So cannibals etc I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I adore Glasgow!

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is bigger than most people realise for starters. It is by various standard measures the third to fifth largest city in the UK. Combine that with being the only real piece of civilisation in the whole West of Scotland, terribly poor inter-city transport links, the usual problems of post-industrial cities, its history of religious sectarianism, probably all those tenements play a part as well.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow has always had rough as **** areas, there's that thing about the divide between the wealthiest in Scotland, and Glasgow, and the worst estates, like Govern and Gorbals, apparently there are wards in Glasgow with lower average life expectancy than Gaza. And what with the working class, especially white, being screwed by more and more years of neo-liberal economics, it's not surprising. However, I think there may be some bias towards it being the worst because of it's prevalence of white people- ie it contradicts the offensive, to some people, 'black crime' argument-it depends on area, specifics, density, where you go, but I'd feel safer in parts of Glasgow than part of London. Less guns for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    They have a collective inferiority complex which manifests itself in violence and frustration.

This anger comes from the fact they are overshadowed and constantly confused as being the same as English people, when in fact they view themselves as a different people.
    Err nothing personal, but that's total *******s you're talking, problems of that scale are economic, and to do with underclasses and lack of social mobility and inclusion, trends repeated within nations- cultural and national grievances are an entirely different, much more idiosyncratic, and subtly, psychologically expressed phenomenon.

ReputationRep:
    Down south it seems to be about the gear you've got, the clothes, the car - generally a slicker sort of thug. The north/scotland has far more violent, random nutters (usually white).

ReputationRep:
    I live in Glasgow and i have found it a lot safer than other places I have visited for example, London and Blackpool.

I was once down with my dad in Blackpool (work related) and I only stayed a few hours and then decided to drive back home.

London is the same, there is way more stories in the news about gang warfare and knife crime in comparison to Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    The apartheid schooling system that operates within the city probably doesn't help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.