Anyone excited about upcoming "No Man's Sky"? uk March 24th Release Date Watch

Ice Jackal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Brief Intro:

No Man's Sky was mad by the creators of Joe Danger, a small group of 12 people. The average game has hundreds of programmers working on it for an area only a few km squared. The 12 people in "Hello Games" have made an entire universe, with around 1.8 x 10(to the 18) stars. Hello Games have used a procedural generator to create the vast quantities of fauna and flora within No Man's Sky, but only 10% of planets having any life and 10% of inhabited planets with abundant life forms. Most of the planets will be uninhabited. There is no aim to this game which, for me, makes up for the lack of a campaign. The one absolute main goal seems to be to reach the centre of the universe, where Sean Murray (Co-founder of the game) has hinted that new things may be revealed/unlocked/gained.

Sorry for the length but I feel that this is as short an intro I can do without diminishing this game's apparent splendour and magnificence. Add if you want to, can't wait for No Man's Sky to be released
serah.exe
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I saw the trailer and 18 minute gameplay, and it looks amazing! :ahee:
NotNotBatman
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yep, it looks amazing.
Joshua Emery
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The hype is real but we need to see if they can pull it off. Who knows, there could be tonnes of bugs at the start but I do have a lot of faith in this game and so excited for it!

The release is June 21, not March 24
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, definitely!!! I don't think I've ever been as excited and hyped for a game as this one, I'm a big fan of sandbox, survival and open world games and NMS will be the ultimate sandbox open world game, 18 quintillion planet sized planets to visit and explore, no invisible walls, no loading screens, nothing telling you what to do or leading you on a linear story progression, it looks like everything I look for in a game and some of the planets look gorgeous. Some people have their doubts, 'what do you do?' is repeatedly asked, people don't seem to be too impressed with it not being a non stop action game with a defined story, and there are obvious worries that the procedural generation won't be varied enough and you'll start to see similar looking planets on the 10th planet, but I'm hoping they'll pull it off, cause it could be a landmark game-of-the-decade game imo.

Castro Saint
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Really hoping it's good. It has so much potential.
j_dot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yeah I'm hyped for this!
Humz007
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't have my hopes too high, I personally don't expect it to live up to the hype at all.
But maybe it will surprise. Just maybe
elen90
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
...I've been let down too many times by game devs to believe that this will meet expectation. Yes, I'm a cynic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cll_ws
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Haven't been able to resist watching early Twitch streams of the game. They haven't done anything to dampen my excitement for the game. Looking forward to getting it.
JPO92
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cll_ws)
Haven't been able to resist watching early Twitch streams of the game. They haven't done anything to dampen my excitement for the game. Looking forward to getting it.
It's one of those games that I'm just counting down the days for. Life is going so slowly now!
Cll_ws
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
10 minutes to go! Beer and snacks ready to go. It's gonna be a late one.
Al-farhan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cll_ws)
10 minutes to go! Beer and snacks ready to go. It's gonna be a late one.
Any updates?
Is it any good?
Or is it just another walking simulator?
Cll_ws
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Al-farhan)
Any updates?
Is it any good?
Or is it just another walking simulator?
It's great. I've sunk many hours into it already.

It's an acquired taste, sure. It can be slow-paced, and the focus is very much on lone exploration and survival. But the limitless freedom it offers is unlike any game out there. I'm constantly seeing things that surprise me, and there's enough mystery in the very loose story to keep you moving forward.

Yesterday I warped to a new system for the first time. Today I decided to follow a trade route to see where it would lead, and after fending off some hostile ships I found my first traders station. Just now, in my third system, and on the 12th planet that i've visited (also the first with a moon), I experienced a storm for the first time. It raised temperatures to 100C+, and i'd wandered a good 5 minutes from my ship! Things keep happening that make me want to continue.

I also found a system that was discovered by another player for the first time earlier, using the scan feature in the galactic map. It's too far away for now, but it'd be cool to visit another player's system at some point.

Edit: I've now visited the moon of that stormy planet. That planet's storms were nothing! Constant 315C storms on the moon, and on top of that it's inhabited by some pretty hostile dinosaur-looking creatures. Beautiful views of the moon's planet mind.
JM1993
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would people say this is worth the money? Or is it more worthwhile waiting for a price slash or pre-owned version?

I was under the impression that it would be pretty boring just flying around planet to planet... What is there to actually do on the planets? Is there human life on any of them?

I'm intrigued so far.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The game is going to suffer from the old bit of being a nerd or obscure title suddenly backed by a major company and marketed as if it was supposed to appeal to a general audience rather than a niche one, and being released during a quiet period.

In truth this is an awesome game for us space game fans, the guys who play the X series or if you're older Starflight, Elite etc. It's a big evolution of the genre. Someone buying it blind to the genre is asking for trouble.

I feared the PC release could've been buggy or choppy but so far it's been near perfect. The first few seconds were choppy, but I turned off the framerate limit and set everything high in the options and it's been smooth. Alt-tab not working meant I started on a new planet a few times, but that's fixed (as with some other games) by setting it to 'borderless', and the planet I started on had green night skies, and that's my favourite colour, so it worked out well. (Thankfully I also found out about the pre-order ship/hyperspace bug so haven't redeemed the ship until I've finished that tutorial.)

(Original post by JM1993)
Would people say this is worth the money? Or is it more worthwhile waiting for a price slash or pre-owned version?

I was under the impression that it would be pretty boring just flying around planet to planet... What is there to actually do on the planets? Is there human life on any of them?

I'm intrigued so far.
The game is a simple concept: do the usual space/RPG shtick (collect things to sell, use money to buy better ships and stuff to continue on, repeat). The game doesn't do anything new in that respect. Its unique selling point is the ability to explore planets rather than just flying around in space like in X or Freelancer.

What you do on the planets is collect stuff you need, chat/trade with aliens if you find them, and look at all the pretty things. Basically all the stuff we so far could only do in space stations.

I'm sure people have hyped this up to be some sort of galaxy simulator where you can "do anything", so any disappointment is their own fault.It's probably not really a game you're supposed to play all day every day forever.
Abstract_Prism
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've heard that NMS is disappointing.
Fango_Jett
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sold on this game.This game was far too over hyped.

There just doesn't seem enough to actually do for a 40 quid game. The phrase 'a mile wide but an inch deep' comes to mind.

(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
I've heard that NMS is disappointing.
It's one of those games that would be better off as a tech demo rather than an actual full price game. There really isn't much to do except mine, buy things, explore (for a short while), repeat.

Rather than make quintillions of planets with nothing to do on them except mine, they should have made like a billion with actual content.
Fango_Jett
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JM1993)

It's cool for a few hours, and then you realize that you've done all there is to do in the game. All you do is mine, collect, trade, explore. Again and again. Unless you enjoy spending hours and hours doing this, just wait until it comes on sale for like 10 quid in a few months.

For all the bullcrap from the devs about 'not spoiling stuff', the simple truth is that there's nothing to spoil. This game is literally Minecraft with more diverse settings, minus the crafting and building.
Cll_ws
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fango_Jett)
For all the bullcrap from the devs about 'not spoiling stuff', the simple truth is that there's nothing to spoil. This game is literally Minecraft with more diverse settings, minus the crafting and building.
Sean has said that the game will be continually supported with free updates. Base building and freighters are already in the works, and i'm sure many other features will be added over time. It's an entire universe with endless possibilities in that respect.

I'm still enjoying the game a lot, and i've been playing almost solidly since the minute it released.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.35%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.35%

Watched Threads