Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study audiology at university and recently carried out work experience in a private setting. I found that it was quite repetitive and didn't seem to be very interesting.
    I tried to get work experience with the NHS to see what it would be like but I have been unable to do so.

I'd be really grateful if someone who has studied audiology or works as one would be able to tell me a bit about what it is like working as an audiologist and whether it is interesting or repetitive? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well, being an audiologist certainly isn't just about carrying out hearing tests (pure tone audiometry), although the job usually involves a lot of that. There are many other tests that can be carried out, like tympanometry, measuring acoustic reflexes, auditory evoked potentials, etc. If you do further study (MSc), you can be more involved with working with babies and children with hearing loss, vestibular (balance) problems, tinnitus, cochlear and other auditory implants, etc. (I am only familiar with the NHS side of things, not what is involved with being a private hearing aid dispenser.)

However the technical side of things is secondary to dealing with people. How people deal with hearing loss is a huge and complicated area. How we, as professionals, deal with people with hearing loss to reduce the impact of their disability is another very interesting and important issue - have a look at the biopsychosocial model of healthcare. To be an audiologist, it is really important to enjoy working with people - technical skills can (usually) be learnt, but empathy and a desire to help are probably more innate. The people you meet are what makes the job rewarding.

On a practical note, it might be worth contacting another NHS audiology department for a day observing even if some distance away - it's easier to arrange in some hospitals than others. If not possible, maybe contact some local D/deaf charities about spending some time with them. It will be useful to talk about if you are invited to interview, as will showing your enthusiasm for helping people and your understanding of people with hearing loss.

ReputationRep:
    This blog post from a third year audiology student currently on placement is also worth a read: http://thewindinmysails.com/2016/04/...-is-what-i-do/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayeeel)
    This blog post from a third year audiology student currently on placement is also worth a read: http://thewindinmysails.com/2016/04/...-is-what-i-do/
    Wow I've just read your blog post, thankyou so much for writing that, it was super informative & really made me think differently about audiology. I think i'll definitly be considering it as an option now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELCRE)
    Wow I've just read your blog post, thankyou so much for writing that, it was super informative & really made me think differently about audiology. I think i'll definitly be considering it as an option now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a post from someone at my uni who has just completed her course. I agree it's a great post!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.