Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I'm doing aqa biology (new spec) at as level at the moment and am finding remember the cell organelles and their functions really difficult, do you know of any revision videos or methods that helped you remember? Thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by alexriversxx)
    Hiya I'm doing aqa biology (new spec) at as level at the moment and am finding remember the cell organelles and their functions really difficult, do you know of any revision videos or methods that helped you remember? Thanks!
    flashcards helped me

ReputationRep:
    I just read through the revision guide over and over again. Kinda like doing your timetables.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    flashcards helped me
    Those too^^

Mitochondria-the powerhouse of the cell.

Golgi apartaus-fluid filled sacs that modify lipids and proteins

Cytoplasm-the outer shell of the cell-controls substances.

Nucleus-In charge of cell growth and devision, its the brain of the cell and controls DNA and chromosomes

I actually tested myself on these and this is all i remember, i know, its way too short.

P.s. Use flash cards or do a big poster on them with colourful pictures if you are creative

ReputationRep:
    Revision videos : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rABKB5aS2Zg
    Methods: Flashcards, mindmaps, flipbooks, revision notes etc.

Websites: http://technocratnotes.com/wp-conten...nd-Paper-2.pdf

Technocratnotes YouTube Playlist: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...S0y_dSKRgS-3R9

More resources on the AS Biology Thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post63587301

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Mitochondrial motor - powerhouse of the cell
    Nuclear nucleus - center of the cell/controls cell activity via mRNA trancription
    Reading ribosome - reads mRNA and creates a story/protein
    Rough endoplasmic reticulum - R is for ribosome. Ribosomes produce proteins here to move to the Golgi body. Another mnemonic is Rough Exit Road
    Go go Golgi body (think Inspector Gadget) - modification and export of cell surface/secretory proteins
    Vacant vacuole - not so vacant. Storage of nutrients
    Flinging/flailing flagella - whiplike structure which is capable of moving a cell
    I can't remember my mnemonic for SER. Smooth/Steroid ER?

Another Mnemonic:
    Nigel Can Cook Mouthwatering Fries Like Chef Christof Candou

Nucleus
    Cell Membrane
    Cytoplasm
    Mitochondria
    Flagella
    Lysosome
    Centriole
    Chloroplast
    Cilia

ReputationRep:
    DUDE

label a colourful cell and write the basic functions next to each organelle
    it's easier to remember when you have a visual to go back to!

and hopefully this way each organelle that you remember will help to trigger memory of other organelles.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all, I just need to repetitively go back to it. I love that cell song tho XD

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.