Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

I'm a second year at my uni currently living with 5 other people who, until recently, I considered my friendship group. I've made the mistake of becoming friends with (and living with) the people around me rather than people I truly value and share common interests with. I had a falling out with one member of my house recently, and the way the whole argument was handled showed many people's true colours.

We're moving in the final term of second year now and I am desperate to make new friends and move away from this group. I'm in loads of societies already and my hope is to find more friends through these.

My big fear is that, since it's so late in my degree, that I will find it hard to meet new people since everyone has a formed friendship group. I may be worrying about nothing, but I was wondering if anyone met their close friends in Third Year and if anyone has any advice on meeting new people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broadhurst18)
    Hey everyone.

I'm a second year at my uni currently living with 5 other people who, until recently, I considered my friendship group. I've made the mistake of becoming friends with (and living with) the people around me rather than people I truly value and share common interests with. I had a falling out with one member of my house recently, and the way the whole argument was handled showed many people's true colours.

We're moving in the final term of second year now and I am desperate to make new friends and move away from this group. I'm in loads of societies already and my hope is to find more friends through these.

My big fear is that, since it's so late in my degree, that I will find it hard to meet new people since everyone has a formed friendship group. I may be worrying about nothing, but I was wondering if anyone met their close friends in Third Year and if anyone has any advice on meeting new people?
    I definitely know how it feels to be so close to someone then fall out and not actually believe it when you see their true colours. All you can really do is allow friendships to unfold naturally, this happens when you spend time with people so all you can do is try and be as outgoing as you can. Try reach out to some people you know off your course see if they want to get a coffee or drink and be proactive in societies. Good luck! At least youre nearing the end of the year now so time apart from these people might do you all some good. Have you signed a contract for third year with them too?

ReputationRep:
    Realistically this will be difficult. Past 1st year students seem far less open to talking to new people for some bizarre reason. Plus, as it's nearing the end of your degree people won't make the effort at all or reciprocate when you do. I'd try and make friends outside of uni at a part time job perhaps; you'll have more luck there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.