question about momentum Watch

klosovic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This question seems really easy but for some reason I can't work it out. The mark scheme and examiners report are no help because it's a multiple choice question.

question is attached or here.

thanks
Attached files
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the simplest way to get the marks is by recognising that impulse and change in momentum are the same thing.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/clas...lse-Connection

impulse is Force x Time

so you can read off the change in momentum from the graph and the time taken and get the force from that (making sure to convert to SI units first)
klosovic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
(making sure to convert to SI units first)
That's why I couldn't get it, I didn't realize time was in milliseconds and not seconds! What a silly error!
Qcomber
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
FΔt = mv
F=(0.4--0.6)/(4x10^-3)
F=1/0.004
F=250N
derpz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by klosovic)
This question seems really easy but for some reason I can't work it out. The mark scheme and examiners report are no help because it's a multiple choice question.

question is attached or here.

thanks
First thing to always do is to check the axis and make sure the units are correct, here the time is in milliseconds so we mulitplay by x10^-3 for any calculation.

Now, Newton's second law states that Force is directly proportional to the rate of change of momentum. THe y-axis is momentum and the change is 1 (difference between 0.4 and -0.6).

We divide this by the time taken for the change in momentum to occur which is 2x10^-3 which is equal to 250N.

I think the main bit to remember here is the axis units and also that force = rate of change of momentum.
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Conversion is very important
All units must be SI units
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (530)
80.3%
Leave (130)
19.7%

Watched Threads