The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing this exam, quite confident :smile:
I did the June 15 paper in my mocks and got 170/200 which isn't my best, it was quite difficult
We just did the November 15 papers a couple of weeks ago as a second mock and I got 191/200 which is more like it although I found the papers harder (not so much paper 1 (98%) but paper 2 was evil! (93%))
I did last years paper for my mocks and managed a B, the non calculator one was so hard it was awful. I'm not sure what I would prefer though, an easy paper with high boundaries or a hard paper with low boundaries. I would really like an A though so I'm going to have to try so hard!
Original post by NiamhM1801
I did the June 15 paper in my mocks and got 170/200 which isn't my best, it was quite difficult
We just did the November 15 papers a couple of weeks ago as a second mock and I got 191/200 which is more like it although I found the papers harder (not so much paper 1 (98%) but paper 2 was evil! (93%))

ahh, are you doing higher or foundation? I got dropped to foundation because I'm literally failing
Original post by rosie.mn
I did last years paper for my mocks and managed a B, the non calculator one was so hard it was awful. I'm not sure what I would prefer though, an easy paper with high boundaries or a hard paper with low boundaries. I would really like an A though so I'm going to have to try so hard!

I agree! I only just got an A because the non calc was so difficult-the november paper was a lot nicer so I'm just hoping that it will be similar to the november paper
Original post by nickypandey
lool maths is a massive no, deffo not passing -_-

Have a go at the november 2015 paper, it was a lot nicer!
Reply 45

You've got 30 exams??? i've got 16-18 and im worried
Reply 46

How do you get such high grades? Do you have any tips on how to revise for maths? because im only getting max 130 marks. and that was because i sorta revised the paper before hand
ahh, are you doing higher or foundation? I got dropped to foundation because I'm literally failing

Higher haha, maths is by far my best subject :tongue:
Original post by jakirul
How do you get such high grades? Do you have any tips on how to revise for maths? because im only getting max 130 marks. and that was because i sorta revised the paper before hand

I don't really know, it just comes naturally to me haha :tongue:

And I'll be honest, I never really revise maths because I don't think I need to. However, the only thing I can say will ever have much of an effect is to do plenty of past papers and practice questions (my teacher makes these little packs of loads of questions on one topic to practise one area more if she feels we're struggling with it)
Also, don't be afraid to look at mark schemes while doing a past paper, as long as you don't just look at the answer but rather the working out so you can understand how to do it and replicate it in your real exam if it happens to come up.
Do a couple of past papers open-book so you can look up anything you don't know - then use it as an exemplar when you revise.
Hope I helped! :smile:
Original post by chrlhyms
Interesting! My dad use to be a chemical engineer so if you have any questions i would be happy to ask him for you! and i have no idea yet i want to take maths and science next yr but FM would be too much for me

Oh wow - I might have a few questions for him soon then :smile: if that's ok. And i'm quite surprised you need an A to do it at a level because I need a B but an A only if I want to do FM
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
Same!!! In my school you have to get more than an A but for the uni course I'm thinking of doing I need an A*. If you don't mind me asking what get you get in the mock?? I got 63% I think

I got 59% but i need an a to do it at a-level and what course do you want to do
Original post by the-future-medic
I got 59% but i need an a to do it at a-level and what course do you want to do

I wanna do Economics Politics and International studies in Warwick. Wbu I'm guessing medicine 😋
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
I wanna do Economics Politics and International studies in Warwick. Wbu I'm guessing medicine 😋

Wow, that sounds really interesting and yep want to do medicine :colondollar:
Original post by brainzistheword
Oh wow - I might have a few questions for him soon then :smile: if that's ok. And i'm quite surprised you need an A to do it at a level because I need a B but an A only if I want to do FM

Yeah thats totally fine!! he works with civil engineers but he use to be one in his 20's idk what he does now hahaha, and really? at my school you need A* to do FM
Original post by chrlhyms
I just started this thread to see who else was doing the exam this year, as the 2015 paper low key scared me, and I hope it's nicer this year

Terrified. Feel like they will make it extra hard since it's the last year before the new style. Right now i'm literally surrounded in maths papers. We do some at school and all i seem to be getting are b's occasionally c's and very occasionaly a's. It's messing with my head I hate maths ugh
Higher haha, maths is by far my best subject :tongue:

Oh god, that is tragic! Does it come naturally or you worked on it? I've always been more of an English/essay based girl lol
Original post by Ellaramsay_
Terrified. Feel like they will make it extra hard since it's the last year before the new style. Right now i'm literally surrounded in maths papers. We do some at school and all i seem to be getting are b's occasionally c's and very occasionaly a's. It's messing with my head I hate maths ugh

This is how i feel right now, I need my A* to do maths next year :frown: its the exam I'm dreading the most, being in the exam hall flicking through looking at the paper :frown: its gonna be tough
Reply 57
Guys let's hope for the best and just print off the edexcel specification because after all they are only just testing things on the syllabus.

Think positive and aim for A*s as you will fall within the herd. I think that's the saying ....:colondollar:
Oh god, that is tragic! Does it come naturally or you worked on it? I've always been more of an English/essay based girl lol

I hope that wasn't a dig! :tongue:
And I'm not sure really, in primary school and the start of year 7 I wasn't actually that great at maths and I was much better at English, I'm not sure what happened! I've never put in any extra sort of effort into maths so yeah I guess it does just come naturally - I must have a logical brain!
My sisters like you - she's much better at English and stuff than I am, I hate most essay based subjects! :redface:
Original post by the-future-medic
Wow, that sounds really interesting and yep want to do medicine :colondollar:

Haha thanks I hopes its interesting!! I'm sure you will get your A* I believe in you 👊🏽👊🏽. What other subjects are you doing

Quick Reply

Latest