Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    LONDON: Britain's city of Leicester, which has a large Indian-origin population, is cracking down on people spitting paan in public places after complaints that the pavements are being stained.

Many of the Indian-origin population of the city enjoy chewing paan but now the local council feel the habit of spitting out the residue has got out of control.

Officials at Leicester City Council are considering bringing a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) to try to stop the spitting along parts of Melton Road and Belgrave Road, known locally as the Golden Mile due to the large number of jewellery stores owned by many Gujarati-origin businessmen.

Local traders and residents in Belgrave are disgusted with their pavements being stained with red paan remains, according to "Leicester Mercury".

A city council spokesperson said: "We are aware of this problem which is unhygienic and leaves unsightly staining on pavements.

"We are looking at including paan spitting in a future city-wide Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) which would give us more powers to tackle it.

"Our cleansing teams went out last year at the request of ward councillors and used anti-graffiti spray equipment to remove the paan from walls and dustbins, but the staining is very difficult to remove."

A few years ago a London council had also taken action against this habit among many of its Indian-origin residents.

Brent council launched an education campaign about the problems of paan spitting, which carries an 80 pounds fine.

The area saw a marked improvement and now plans to re-launch the campaign to raise further awareness on the issue.

Paan is a mixture of tobacco, nuts and spices and is wrapped in a leaf, which is mainly chewed by members of the South Asian community in the UK.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/n...w/51682811.cms
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    ban it, its disgusting (whilst your at it, ban tobacco, alcohol, people drinking from bottles in bags and weed on the streets)

ReputationRep:
    Terrible.

ReputationRep:
    It took me a couple of years to understand what them red/brown stains on the ground were. :rofl:

Quite disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Fine them, it is that simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love paan as much as my fellow brethren , but a sense of decorum needs to be instilled here.

ReputationRep:
    It's illegal to spit on the streets

all we need to do is enforce the sodding law

ReputationRep:
    Yep - should be down there with cigarette butts and CHEWING GUM.

Good. Should be enforced in my town too.

ReputationRep:
    I thought spitting in public was an offence anyway

ReputationRep:
    You\ll be banning me from puking and posing on a friday night next? :proud: :puke::poo:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.