Turn on thread page Beta

What is your International Ideology? watch

• View Poll Results: What is your international Ideology?
    Realist
    33.33%
    Internationalist
    66.67%
    Pluralist
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick poll to see where folks sit in terms of international relations ideology which measures how you think things should be at a domestic and international level.

This is more to do with your idea of international ethics than factors such as economics (otherwise I'd have included Marxism and Liberalism)

The choices are :

Realist: all states have strong, separate cultures and the international system is dominated by strong states locked in cycles of conflict, for their own benefit. Example: Russia in the Ukraine Conflict

Internationalist: protecting Human Rights laws for instance genocide is more important than state sovereignty and states have an ethical duty to uphold the UDHR Example: NATO in Yugoslav war.

Pluralist: Should respect and value diversity at home and abroad. State sovereignty is sacrosanct. Either there is no 'good' (relativism) or we cannot truly know the good. Example: non western countries that reject certain 'western' HRs such as Homosexuality in Arabic countries, in many ways the UN operates to the principle of pluralism)

Edit: so this was meant to be a poll but when I clicked submit it just posted the thread without the poll options....sigh

ReputationRep:
    I believe you can click the tools option and add poll?

ReputationRep:
    i have no idea what i want to choose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Just a quick poll to see where folks sit in terms of international relations ideology which measures how you think things should be at a domestic and international level.

This is more to do with your idea of international ethics than factors such as economics (otherwise I'd have included Marxism and Liberalism)

The choices are :

Realist: all states have strong, separate cultures and the international system is dominated by strong states locked in cycles of conflict, for their own benefit. Example: Russia in the Ukraine Conflict

Internationalist: protecting Human Rights laws for instance genocide is more important than state sovereignty and states have an ethical duty to uphold the UDHR Example: NATO in Yugoslav war.

Pluralist: Should respect and value diversity at home and abroad. State sovereignty is sacrosanct. Either there is no 'good' (relativism) or we cannot truly know the good. Example: non western countries that reject certain 'western' HRs such as Homosexuality in Arabic countries, in many ways the UN operates to the principle of pluralism)

Edit: so this was meant to be a poll but when I clicked submit it just posted the thread without the poll options....sigh
    I'd support realism. Russia follows the realist path and has been the only country alongside Iran to successfully deal with the war in Syria. I like the no nonsense approach used by Mr Putin.

Should the EU fall apart (which I hope never happens) then I'd be happy to see a new European Union created but lead by Russia of which we should be part of.

ReputationRep:
    Realist.

I think the main attribute that seperates Realism from Internationalism is a recognition of the difficulty to get states to cooperate owed in part to disparate ethics and national interests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

The choices are :

pluralist, i dont like this moral superiority stance some nations take while imposing immoral sanctions and starting false wars and being the cause of most evil in the world.

ReputationRep:
    realist - individuals are the concern only of their respective governments. states are obliged to exchange protections in return for the taxes and obedience that citizens provide them. so in this case, humanitarian interventions are not justifiable. and states may do whatever they want to enemy soldiers (or even enemy state citizens) to stop them from invading. states have the duty to protect their citizens, not enemy soldiers/citizens.

however, I do not recognise the right of governments to unfairly invade other governments. so I guess I have *some* liberalism in me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well I voted Internationalist, because ideally this is how I'd like the world to be. I agree with interventions like Libya, I feel the main flaw is in the aftermath. But realistically (hah) I am more of a realist. Not every state that requires it can be realistically intervened in, and often the better outcome is to deal with
    states we'd rather not ( e g Saudi). Interventions are also very difficult and so you often have to ask if you will bring about the outcome you are trying to prevent through your own actions.

ReputationRep:
    Under those definitions i'm both a realist and internationalist.

I certainly believe that most states foreign affairs are dictated by their own perceived self interest (Ukraine is a fantastic example of both Russia and the EU being willing to rip the country apart and engage in a proxy war largely to get it into their respective customs union). I also believe however that the west is culturally superior and that we do have some kind of duty to ourselves and others people in terms of showing them the light and preventing the worst atrocities through military means even if i don't much care about the Geneva convention and would gladly turn a portion of Syria to glass if it meant that ISIS would surrender their generals inside 24 hours.

OP, you should also declare your own position even if your not actively trying to convince anybody of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a strong Internationalist. I believe that there are universal moral goods independent of cultural norms (eg slavery, FGM, child brides are all bad regardless). Pluralism is shorthand for relativism which teaches us that cannibal societies are of the same worth as our own.

Realism was generally what governed the world up until comparatively recently but has been proved wrong as it fails to take account of ideas, internal politics and economics- hence it failing to account for the end of the Cold War and why Liberal Democracies do not go to war with each other. Additionally, national interest is too open to interpretation and largely depends on the constructed worldview of those in charge.

Rakas21

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.