Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I travel South East Asia or USA Watch

ReputationRep:
    While SEA seems romantically better, visit more places, better use of money and time, will I end up having more fun there or on a huge USA expedition?

The way it is looking atm, I will be travelling on my own for between 1.5 - 3 months. My budget will be around £6,000, potentially £7 if I can nail it these next two months. I would hopefully like to fly out end of May.

What do you guys think would be better?

Whilst I sort of would like to see SEA, I can't help but feel a huge USA road trip or expedition could be so much cooler and more enjoyable due to the language, food etc not being a problem.

Saying that, I have no idea what travelling it alone could be like, where as I know (from the whole world pretty much) that there is no issue in doing SEA alone due to the sheer number of people you can meet there.

ReputationRep:
    USA is all white ppl go to SEA if u wanna see culture and something different

ReputationRep:
    SEA by a far stretch. There are some sights there that the US/UK could never touch. Also your 6/7k would go a far way in SEA compared to the US. This is especially true if you are the shared hostel type, but if like me you enjoy privacy, it's still incredibly cheap. Language isn't a problem as most areas popular with tourists make attempts to cater to Western tourists. Food is great and cheap, but if it's not to your liking there's plenty of Western fast food in most of SEA, I found Western food will generally cost around 1/2 of what it does in the UK. As a disclaimer I've only been to a handful of US states with 7 or so being a short road trip. Wasn't really my cup of tea but it was more of a mid to East Coast road trip so wasn't that interesting. Road tripping alone may be a bit boring. Either way hope you have a good trip!

ReputationRep:
    Im from SEA, Where do u wanna visit ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    SEA sounds good, if you want to travel Vietnam-Cambodia and Thailand, you need 3 months at least. Further, you'll have a month, you can visit some places in Vietnam and Cambodia. 2 countries are cheap contries, so i think you dont need worry about money. Further, homestay at local people will best way to save money and explore culture of local people very fast and easy.

ReputationRep:
    I think your money would go further in SEA. Maybe visit America later in your life when you have more money, but then it is more interesting for younger people I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, thanks for the advice.

I suppose it comes down to thinking what it is that I actually want. Do I want to go on a massive holiday and just mess around in the states or do I want to do some more "travel-y backpack" type things.

Has anyone here traveled America? What was it like? Is it worth it or is it better to do it in small bits?

Because I can see SEA being easy to do in small bits at a much cheaper price: I.e 3 weeks in Thailand, another 2 in Vietnam etc

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.