Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an EU national and moved here with my family in 2004 (I was 5). I am going to be going to University this year (well, hopefully) and have gone through the regular student finance procedure. If the UK makes a decision to leave the EU, will that affect the tuition fee and maintenance loans I am to take. e.g. Could I end up studying for one or two years all fine and suddenly have to pay international fees?

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by xpdevil)
    I'm an EU national and moved here with my family in 2004 (I was 5). I am going to be going to University this year (well, hopefully) and have gone through the regular student finance procedure. If the UK makes a decision to leave the EU, will that affect the tuition fee and maintenance loans I am to take. e.g. Could I end up studying for one or two years all fine and suddenly have to pay international fees?

Thanks
    Normally any changes to the financing system don't apply to current student so i thik you would be okay.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Thanks
    Nothing to worry about.
    1. They havent left yet and theres nothing you could do.
    2. They would treat the situation fairly.
    3.It would take them 2+ years to negotiate a deal.

Dont worry, nothings happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Nothing to worry about.
    1. They havent left yet and theres nothing you could do.
    2. They would treat the situation fairly.
    3.It would take them 2+ years to negotiate a deal.

Dont worry, nothings happened.
    Thanks, its just I can't help but worry, on paper I'm a continental European but I've basically grown up in Britain and function as a Briton, if I had to spontaneously leave that would be rather messy.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thanks, its just I can't help but worry, on paper I'm a continental European but I've basically grown up in Britain and function as a Briton, if I had to spontaneously leave that would be rather messy.
    Seriously worry is pointless and illogical at this stage.

No idea what your immigration status is or other nationality, but you should look into see whethe you cna apply for permanet leave to remain and then Uk citizenship if you had to.

For now I repeat dont worry , even if it happened transitional arrangements would be made.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.