Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dealing with obnoxious braggarty rich kids in workplace... watch

I work and live in an area that is saturated with middle class (and more often than not) very wealthy families.

I am employed in a small guest house/hotel in the countryside, and while the majority of my colleagues live with humility and modesty- there is one particular person who is so arrogant- the son of a wealthy solicitor. He is a teenager, that always has to have the latest iphone or gadget, gets his hair cut fortnightly, likes to keep up appearances. Not only this, he likes to openly brag about how he's rich and I am not. How your never going to be successful in life because you don't have anyone rich behind you.

He is very in your face, opinionated and also very rude about it. He is insensitive and holds incredibly discriminatory views- racism and disability inequality- that worryingly he believes and endorses.

He is the most narcissistic person I know, and begrudgingly admits it to me out of spite when I tell him so.

Makes me laugh because I actually have a degree, I'm pretty intelligent, and I'm disabled. Whereas, he is generally not as intelligent and incredibly ignorant to the world.

How do I deal with him?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he's jealous of you because you have got yourself a degree and you're intelligent, whereas all he can rely on is money, which as he is a teenager I'm guessing it isn't even his wealth, but his parents.
    When people do this to me I end up replying with 'That's nice', and not really acknowledging what they say! I know it may seem childish but it usually winds them up because they want to you to be jealous of them!
    Them: I've got 6 cars
    Me: That's nice
    Them: I have my own aeroplane
    Them: I'm going to be more successful than you
    You can see why they will get annoyed after a while!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I work and live in an area that is saturated with middle class (and more often than not) very wealthy families.

I am employed in a small guest house/hotel in the countryside, and while the majority of my colleagues live with humility and modesty- there is one particular person who is so arrogant- the son of a wealthy solicitor. He is a teenager, that always has to have the latest iphone or gadget, gets his hair cut fortnightly, likes to keep up appearances. Not only this, he likes to openly brag about how he's rich and I am not. How your never going to be successful in life because you don't have anyone rich behind you.

He is very in your face, opinionated and also very rude about it. He is insensitive and holds incredibly discriminatory views- racism and disability inequality- that worryingly he believes and endorses.

He is the most narcissistic person I know, and begrudgingly admits it to me out of spite when I tell him so.

Makes me laugh because I actually have a degree, I'm pretty intelligent, and I'm disabled. Whereas, he is generally not as intelligent and incredibly ignorant to the world.

How do I deal with him?
    maybe do some research and find out some people who became rich from nothing? it's all just for comebacks really

you have found an argument and made it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    He may be a colleague but doesnt meant you have to argue with him. Dont argue back with him, leave his petty jibes. Dont give him a reaction. And if you do need to talk to him, make sure its work related and that your life or his life does not effect the conversation. He is wrong and you are right, dont tell him that. Leave him to his foolishness.....
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    If you know all this based on what he's told you then he's probably lying. We've got a kid in school who insists that we all call him a Lord! He also keep going on about his maid and how his father went to Oxford. He also uses Google Earth to get pictures of big houses where his "Aunties" live All of which he' never proved, and are probably untrue considering the small house he lives in (in a deprived area).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.