Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    S14 - Statement of Intent from the Home Department - Housing, The Rt. Hon PetrosAC MP

Statement of Intent - Home Department

Housing - Introduction

It is clear to this Government that there is not currently a high enough supply of housing in the United Kingdom. Therefore, it is a priority for this Government to build more houses to meet the demands of the people and ensure that everyone has the opportunity to have a roof over their head.

This Government will be introducing several schemes that will finally get the homeless off of the streets, allow a young couple to actual afford their own home and ensure the steady building of even more housing, both social and private.

Social Housing

This Government will begin plans to build 500,000 social housing homes in the UK by the end of 2020. This will cost approximately £50bn for the homes and then a further £50bn for the infrastructure giving a total costs of £100bn. Infrastructure will include any roads that need to be built, sewers, water supplies and public transport amongst other things.

These houses will only be built on brownfield sites and especially in urban areas. Cities with high population densities will be targeted including Portsmouth, London, Leicester, Glasgow and Bristol.

This is done by first buying the land without permission to build on it, as this will be a lot cheaper. Once we have bought the land, we will grant building permission on it. The cost of building a home would be £100,000, so 500,000 homes would cost £50bn to build. We’d also need £50bn for the infrastructure around the homes which would lead to a total cost of £100bn.

The National Housing Federation calculates that every £1 spent on housing brings over £2.40 back into the economy. The housebuilding programme is also expected to create 36,000 new, good jobs.

Cost: 20bn per year for 5 years, financed by 30 year Treasury GILTS at 2%, with the housing revenues at 2.5% this produces a surplus of 0.5% and total savings of £300 million to the Housing Benefit budget.

Stamp Duty (Brownfield Sites)

This Government will reduce stamp duty on all Brownfield sites. This will encourage further building on brownfield sites and help protect Greenfield sites. This also means that it is easier for people to buy homes, as all people should have the same opportunity to own their own home.

The extent at which Stamp Duty is cut on Brownfield sites has been set out by the Treasury. This will be put into action when the Finance Bill is enacted.

Rent to own

This Government will be introducing a rent to own scheme, where a person’s monthly payments of rent will go towards buying a stake in their own home. This will ensure that people are able to eventually buy their own home.

This will also replace the right to buy, though all properties currently under the scheme will not be affected.

This scheme will begin immediately and will apply to all further social housing built.

Private Housing Commission

This Government will create a new private housing commission which will ensure that houses are built at a sufficient speed with the proper infrastructure and services around new homes. This team will be under the Minister for Housing and will be government-run. They will commission large housing projects and looking into new Garden Cities amongst other things. This will begin immediately.

Housing First

This Government will put in place a Housing First policy, which will put long term homeless people into homes before rehab, and not the other way around. This will ensure that the homeless can be properly rehabilitated and integrated in society whilst also ensuring they have a home to go to after the rehabilitation process. The homeless will also be given priority over new social housing. This will begin immediately.

Concluding Statement

This is a Statement that will finally begin to fix the housing crisis and lay the foundations for the next generation. This Government believes all people should have the right to their own home, whether they are currently homeless, currently renting social housing or are just young people looking for their first home. The poorest in society should not be priced out of the things others take for granted like owning their own home. Instead, we should be giving people a hand up onto the property ladder by giving them a chance to own their own home and by ensuring that there are homes ready for them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I see Petros decided to pay attention to the man who consistently demonstrates he has no clue what he's doing when trying to do the job of the treasury in raising the funds for the £20bn deficit increase.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jammy Duel Lime-man

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I see Petros decided to pay attention to the man who consistently demonstrates he has no clue what he's doing when trying to do the job of the treasury in raising the funds for the £20bn deficit increase.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've honestly been trying to work out a way of raising the money otherwise but I couldn't.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I've honestly been trying to work out a way of raising the money otherwise but I couldn't.
    You leave it to the official TSR civil servants in the treasury who nobody ever sees to deal with how the deficits are dealt with, all we need telling is that there is a £20bn deficit increase.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The government could have extended the plans to last 10 years, using £10bn taken from the foreign aid budget to fund house construction; Britons come first.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The government could have extended the plans to last 10 years, using £10bn taken from the foreign aid budget to pay for it; Britons come first.
    Well, they can't actually legally do that, not that it would stop them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, they can't actually legally do that, not that it would stop them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But if the government tabled a bill to repeal the relevant Act I believe there would be support for the repeal.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it… Why are you releasing so many items at the very end of the term when it doesn't matter any more?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But if the government tabled a bill to repeal the relevant Act I believe there would be support for the repeal.
    Only because they would want rid of it to deal with their legal issues and we would want rid of it because screw wasted soft power. If we tried it we would likely fail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    I don't get it… Why are you releasing so many items at the very end of the term when it doesn't matter any more?
    On this one in particular, I've had it written for months. I put it off around December - February because I was going through a lot of stuff irl. Since March I've been working on it, adding bits and changing bits. The only thing thats held me back from releasing it is the costing
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    The government could have extended the plans to last 10 years, using £10bn taken from the foreign aid budget to fund house construction; Britons come first.
    50,000 extra homes a year wouldn't be enough imo
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    On this one in particular, I've had it written for months. I put it off around December - February because I was going through a lot of stuff irl. Since March I've been working on it, adding bits and changing bits. The only thing thats held me back from releasing it is the costing
    Translation: I actually wrote it last week

The costing is not difficult, what is 100,000*200,000?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I recognise the need for housing but I simply do not think building as many houses as possible is the solution. Building on flood-prone land and building so many houses that two towns are joined up is just wrong. I'm afraid I am against this statement.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Translation: I actually wrote it last week

The costing is not difficult, what is 100,000*200,000?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wrote it months ago. You can believe what you like.

The actual costing it was fine. Figuring out how to raise the money was the hard bit
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I wrote it months ago. You can believe what you like.

The actual costing it was fine. Figuring out how to raise the money was the hard bit
    You mean doing what you need to do was fine, doing what you didn't need to do wasn't because you were high and thought you needed to do the funding too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Using £10bn from the foreign aid budget for ten years running is £100bn by my maths.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So the homeless population is increasing at over 50,000 households per year?! Why is the media not covers this scandal?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    You mean doing what you need to do was fine, doing what you didn't need to do wasn't because you were high and thought you needed to do the funding too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't need to fund it?

I literally just facepalmed so hard.

I'm literally an idiot. There's no way Governments actually spend that much money building houses, because they get the private sector to do it.

Leave me be whilst I go sit in a corner

Using £10bn from the foreign aid budget for ten years running is £100bn by my maths.
    It's still only be 50,000 homes a year, because its £10bn a year
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I recognise the need for housing but I simply do not think building as many houses as possible is the solution. Building on flood-prone land and building so many houses that two towns are joined up is just wrong. I'm afraid I am against this statement.
    Thank you for raising your opposition internally whist it's been sitting there for months.

So the homeless population is increasing at over 50,000 households per year?! Why is the media not covers this scandal?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You do realise we're in a housing crisis right?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.