Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can pensioners vote in the EU referendum but 16 year olds can't? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It seems incredibly unfair seeing as they won't live to see the disastrous consequences of a Brexit. Most of them will vote out due to xenophobia caused by reading too much of the daily mail. It's our future not theirs, if anyone should be banned from voting its them!

ReputationRep:
    its your future not theirs..

But its their past that has built a country that will give you a future.

Both the young and old deserve the right to vote, but on the young end there has to be an age limit placed somewhere.

For me, when I was younger I strongly believed it to be 16, or even 14.. as at that age I was very politically aware.

But now as someone who works in education and deals with teenagers on a daily basis, I can comfortably say that in my opinion 18 is as low as it should go. There will always be some teenagers who are politically aware and know far more then their parents/many adults.. but unfortunately they are in a minority. The majority, whilst maybe interested, do not have the level of maturity yet required to properly utilize their vote.

Its always going to be an unfortunate case of placing a line somewhere in the sand, and where ever you place it you will get people on either side who do not fit in with the desired outcome. Adults who are not at all ready to vote.. and teenagers (even children) who are. But on the balance of my own experience working with teenagers, I think 18 is a pretty fair place to put it.

- In fact I would rather raise the age limit then lower it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    18 was set at a time when to be 18 was to be an adult. with many 18 year olds starting work, becoming indipednant, supporting themselves, etc. My parents both had jobs aged 18, and were looking at starting an adult life, as was my grandfather before them. With only a minority going to university.

I would argue that with an increased university population, the age of becoming an adult has been delayed to a persons early 20s. These days when I go back and visit universities, many students lives/attitudes/work habits/responsibilities far more closely resemble that of a teenager, then that of an adult.

Not through any fault of their own, but through the way our society is changing.. people are maturing both earlier and later. We are becoming 'teenagers' earlier.. but 'adults' later. And many of the 18-21 age range are bassically living in an extended teenage bubble at university.

I would have strongly disagreed with all of this whilst I was in university, but now, years later with work experiance under my belt, a new family and soon a new home.. honestly, It would not be that hard to make a case that the age of an 'adult' is no longer 18, but 21. Not yet, but if university attendance increased further, to the point where it was a strong majority, then maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    It seems incredibly unfair seeing as they won't live to see the disastrous consequences of a Brexit. Most of them will vote out due to xenophobia caused by reading too much of the daily mail. It's our future not theirs, if anyone should be banned from voting its them!
    Because they are above the age we seem to be appropriate to give people the vote is the simple answer without getting into the debate of experience of the world of which a 16 year old has none.

On a practical level of like only the over 21's to be able to vote but that goes against taxation without representation so it's a bit of a paradox for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    because 16 year olds are children and pensioners are not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    All your arguments would equally suggest you support eight year olds voting.

The reason they cannot vote is that they are children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    All your arguments would equally suggest you support eight year olds voting.

The reason they cannot vote is that they are children.
    They're not children, most people of that age have had sex and got drunk, hardly the behaviour of eight year olds

ReputationRep:
    All pensioners care about is sovereignty, it's pathetic. That's why their gonna vote to leave the EU and we're gonna have to suffer in the future when our economy goes to ****

ReputationRep:
    We already have a problem with young people and voting in this country. By making the voting age lower it will only get worse. Interest is so low amongst the 18-25 bracket its unreal, let alone the 16-17 bracket. Most sixth formers in my school are not aware of the debate, some don't even know what the EU actually is or what it does.However, I do understand your point especially for the under-18s who are informed and do have a strong opinion either side but most 16-17 year olds would rather walk to the shops for a 3 litre bottle of cheap cider than to a polling station.P.s - #VoteLeave on the 23rd June (had to get it in somewhere)

ReputationRep:
    Because pensioners will still be in the country long enough to see the impact this vote could have. They also are likely to have family the outcome could affect. Also 16 is not old enough to be politically aware for most people. Around 16 is when you start giving politics serious thoughts, but it takes at least 2 years or so to refine those thoughts. I'm 20 in a month and my political opinions now are very different to when I was 18, let alone 16.

ReputationRep:
    16 year olds in my year have chosen acid over their education why would we let them choose this

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.