Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know how to express this feeling but I'll try anyway. Whenever I think of countries where people commonly die of starvation, it's our fault as a population as there is always more we could do to prevent it. I feel like we section ourselves off from third world countries in an attempt to live our ways without worrying and it just makes me feel sick. Poverty is a horrible thing and I feel as if we are just ignoring it. I know there are efforts to end poverty but just think about how many people have died as a result of it! It just isn't fair that we idly stand by as innocent people die as a result of poverty. I just don't like feeling happy when I know it's very hard for people in poverty to feel happy too. I'm mainly talking about poverty in third world countries as people commonly die as a result of it it there whereas it isn't as severe here. Has anybody experienced a feeling like this?

ReputationRep:
    Well the world is unfair. If you really want to help donate to a charity or do some community service, there are plenty of ways to get involved with the less fortunate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    Well the world is unfair. If you really want to help donate to a charity or do some community service, there are plenty of ways to get involved with the less fortunate.
    Don't you have to donate an awful lot to charity to make a huge impact? And community service seems more like a solution to first world poverty. Have you got any ideas on how I could make a huge impact on third world poverty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SageJiraiya)
    Don't you have to donate an awful lot to charity to make a huge impact? And community service seems more like a solution to first world poverty. Have you got any ideas on how I could make a huge impact on third world poverty?
    A lot of charities don't even use your money to help those in poverty. Unless I personally know a charity and know for a fact it's going to help people, I don't donate. I also question how big events like Live Aid raise a **** ton of money, yet we don't really see much of a difference anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    A lot of charities don't even use your money to help those in poverty. Unless I personally know a charity and know for a fact it's going to help people, I don't donate. I also question how big events like Live Aid raise a **** ton of money, yet we don't really see much of a difference anywhere?
    I agree with you. I'm sure that those big events do make a difference but my guess is that it's likely to small to notice. I wish that there was a way which would make a large scale visible impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SageJiraiya)
    I agree with you. I'm sure that those big events do make a difference but my guess is that it's likely to small to notice. I wish that there was a way which would make a large scale visible impact.
    Hm yeah maybe. It just baffles me how we can be in 2016 and have poverty like this. Especially if charities have supposedly been raising millions decade after decade.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.