Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    first of all I would like to apologise for my ignorance. ok Im a GED graduate(highschool equivalency) And ive got no idea what GCSE a levels b levels etc. are... what are those and do I need them to apply for Uni in UK? Im not british by the way. ok next question is what do you guys suggest as a good photography or media uni? im for now choosing between Westminster or American Intercontinental in London. Westminster seems nice and so does American intercontinental but american intercontinental is extreemly expensive. Anyway ope to get some advice from you guys... pls help I need enlightenment... :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are exams taken around age 16. A-levels are exams taken around age 18. In order to get into an English university, you normally need to get passes in 3 A-levels...each university will specify what grades it wants from you before it lets you in. It might also ask for a certain number of GCSE passes (particularly in Maths and English Language), but this is not always the case.

The Times newspaper publishes lists of universities and how good it thinks they are for each subject. I wouldn't take them too seriously, but it might give you some hints about where to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by denant)
    first of all I would like to apologise for my ignorance. ok Im a GED graduate(highschool equivalency) And ive got no idea what GCSE a levels b levels etc. are... what are those and do I need them to apply for Uni in UK? Im not british by the way. ok next question is what do you guys suggest as a good photography or media uni? im for now choosing between Westminster or American Intercontinental in London. Westminster seems nice and so does American intercontinental but american intercontinental is extreemly expensive. Anyway ope to get some advice from you guys... pls help I need enlightenment... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why do you want to study in the UK? I think it would be fair to say that photography / media studies have a bad reputation as degree courses here, as do all non-academic courses. Westminster isn't well regarded - it's viewed as one of the worst in the UK. The times rank it 77th out of 99 universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    I think it would be fair to say that photography / media studies have a bad reputation as degree courses here, as do all non-academic courses.
    Although I agree with you, that's quite an Oxbridge attitude.

ReputationRep:
    well I want to study in UK for a few reasons: im not american so I wont be able to work while studying in the USA. And I really cannot afford the Uni's in the US (very expensive). Since im italian i can work legally in UK without problems. oh and i cant speak italian because i did not grow up there so uni in italy is not really an option. so my best bet is an education in uk.

so is westminster really that bad? but it ranked number 7 in midea studies on times...

and what do you guys think of american intercontinental in London whats its reputaion over ther??? thanks

ReputationRep:
    well I want to study in UK for a few reasons: im not american so I wont be able to work while studying in the USA. And I really cannot afford the Uni's in the US (very expensive). Since im italian i can work legally in UK without problems. oh and i cant speak italian because i did not grow up there so uni in italy is not really an option. so my best bet is an education in uk.

so is westminster really that bad? but it ranked number 7 in midea studies on times...

and what do you guys think of american intercontinental in London whats its reputaion over ther??? thanks
    Are you talking about the American university in Richmond? Can't remember it's exact title but I think it may be the American Intercontinental. A friend worked there for a year as a lecturer in English and reckoned it was just a place for Americans to spend 3 years in the UK and have a good time. It's not academically rigorous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Are you talking about the American university in Richmond? Can't remember it's exact title but I think it may be the American Intercontinental. A friend worked there for a year as a lecturer in English and reckoned it was just a place for Americans to spend 3 years in the UK and have a good time. It's not academically rigorous.
    man im loosing options. quite depressing really. what about the Uni of the arts london or perhaps goldsmiths...

ReputationRep:
    man im loosing options. quite depressing really. what about the Uni of the arts london or perhaps goldsmiths...
    You have other options than university.

ReputationRep:
    Does it have to be in London? Warwick is a respected university...it's quite heavy on stuff like media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    You have other options than university.

like what? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    like what? :confused:
    Well, it depends what you want to do. But if you're interested in media, you may be able to get a trainee position if you have experience.

ReputationRep:
    I did a BTEC ND in media and on that course Bournemouth was regarded as the Oxbridge then. Apparantly it's fancy good for media.

ReputationRep:
    whoa.. as far as media is concerned, Westminster is THE place to be. Trust me. It isnt the best degree to just do anywhere, but its tough to get into Westminster for it, and its good at it. Plus, its a better place than all these people have been saying! Go for it.

Alternativley, try Bournemouth, or something.

For photography, try University of the arts, Bournemouth, Falmouth(yay!), BIAD, or other arty places. Goldsmiths is quite good too!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.