Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Back Story:

Third year student. Lived in halls in my first year. House second. Back in halls for my final year. Why? Because financially better for me, close to campus, fancied meeting new people.

The flat I live in is a mixture of great and downright terrible.

It's great when we sit and watch movies, cook together, hang out and chat over coffee.

It's downright terrible when they're partying all the time. I didn't realise how bad it was really till after the Easter holidays just gone. When the first night everyone is back they're drinking, clubbing, and waking me up at five in the morning.

I'm in the final leg of my dissertation. I live in my library all the time and only come back to eat, sleep and shower. That's about it.

But sleep is near enough impossible. I'm so tired that I'm concerned it's having an impact of my dissertation. I've given up going to lectures because I always fall asleep. I rely on energy drinks and coffee to get me through the day.

The partying people are mainly a bunch of lads. A mixture of third and second years. If you ask them to turn it down (when they're drunk or sober) they verbally abuse you so I've given up. I'm not vindictive but I tried playing loud music in the morning but I dont think it bothers them with where my room is compared to where their room is. I also don't want to to complain to the uni about this because I still have to live with them for another two months(ish) and they won't care about getting in trouble so will play music even louder.
    The halls I'm in isn't even in a residential area so I can't sneakily ring the police and make a anonymous complaint as a resident.

I don't know what to do. I avoid everyone now, if I'm not in my room I'm at the library and if I'm not in the library I'm trying to sleep.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes I use earplugs. Still hear the music.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by nillyst)
    Back Story:

Third year student. Lived in halls in my first year. House second. Back in halls for my final year. Why? Because financially better for me, close to campus, fancied meeting new people.

It's great when we sit and watch movies, cook together, hang out and chat over coffee.

It's downright terrible when they're partying all the time. I didn't realise how bad it was really till after the Easter holidays just gone. When the first night everyone is back they're drinking, clubbing, and waking me up at five in the morning.

I'm in the final leg of my dissertation. I live in my library all the time and only come back to eat, sleep and shower. That's about it.

But sleep is near enough impossible. I'm so tired that I'm concerned it's having an impact of my dissertation. I've given up going to lectures because I always fall asleep. I rely on energy drinks and coffee to get me through the day.

The partying people are mainly a bunch of lads. A mixture of third and second years. If you ask them to turn it down (when they're drunk or sober) they verbally abuse you so I've given up. I'm not vindictive but I tried playing loud music in the morning but I dont think it bothers them with where my room is compared to where their room is. I also don't want to to complain to the uni about this because I still have to live with them for another two months(ish) and they won't care about getting in trouble so will play music even louder.
    The halls I'm in isn't even in a residential area so I can't sneakily ring the police and make a anonymous complaint as a resident.

I don't know what to do. I avoid everyone now, if I'm not in my room I'm at the library and if I'm not in the library I'm trying to sleep.

Amazon sells heavy duty ear protectors that are much better than ear plugs, I would consider complaining to the halls management as you re paying for that room and you should be able to live in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Amazon sells heavy duty ear protectors that are much better than ear plugs, I would consider complaining to the halls management as you re paying for that room and you should be able to live in it.
    I unfortunately am not in the financial position to purchase new equipment to sleep. I need to make my final loan last till I move home and get a job and it isn't much money.
    I'm tempted to email my student union, I've started logging their partying exploits.

I forgot to mention that one night I got angry and told them to turn it off so in response one of the lads came into room and got rather threatening and didn't leave till I physically forced him out.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I unfortunately am not in the financial position to purchase new equipment to sleep. I need to make my final loan last till I move home and get a job and it isn't much money.
    I'm tempted to email my student union, I've started logging their partying exploits.

I forgot to mention that one night I got angry and told them to turn it off so in response one of the lads came into room and got rather threatening and didn't leave till I physically forced him out.
    If they have threatened you you should get the uni involved really, people get kicked off courses for that sort of behaviour. Ear protectors can be less than a tenner.

ReputationRep:
    I would complain - to halls management, to the student union, whoever - and not worry about it. As you said, you've two months left, it's nothing in the grand scheme of things. Plus, if you're barely there anyway because of studying etc., then there won't be many opportunities for them to harass you for complaining - and if they did become threatening or abusive over it, then report that too. Maybe it's from being a bit older now, but I really don't care about being the 'uncool' one through complaining - I need my sleep, and some people are just inconsiderate b*stards.

One other thing to consider is that it will possibly quieten down in the next while as exams approach? I mean, your flatmates don't exactly sound like the type to overly care about their academics, but as exams come closer they may buckle down. Plus many universities adopt a much harder stance on noise in the run-up to exams - at my current one, they ban all parties in university accommodation for the duration of the exam period, and come down heavily on those disrupting others.

A final thing might be to approach your personal tutor, if you have one. If it's having a very detrimental effect on your work, you should let them know, plus they will likely help by throwing their weight around a bit with the accommodation office, etc. When I had a problem with my uni room that was causing me sleeping problems (not noisy flatmates thankfully), I eventually contacted my tutor and he immediately phoned up the accommodation office and demanded I be moved - and that same afternoon the office contacted me to say there was a different room available for me, despite every time I went in myself they told me nothing was available

ReputationRep:
    Back Story:

This happened to me, I asked my house manager and he let me move flats next day

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.