Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to plaster this with any grades or placement lists, I just simply have some questions which I would really appreciate answered as im applying first time this upcoming october, with nottingham being my first choice and a dream to get in there:
    Does lambing work experience being missing matter that much? Havent done calving or lambing as I've been busy this easter, and did not think it to be vital
    When does prior work experience expire? I have done a work experience which may become 23 months old when i apply, dont plan on applying for RVC which state an 18 month period where wex is valid, so what do other uni's say?
    Does doing work experience near application dates affect chances? I've booked up my entire summer week after week with wex, does this last minute wex bring me down
    Anyone who is at nottingham currently, Is there anything they would like to see in particular?

ReputationRep:
    Also, I intend to complete the minimum weeks and more, yet was wondering if my extenuating circumstance could cover for me not attending lambing;
    Please respect my openness here, it is not an excuse but a truth, living in london and not having a financial support ( family receiving benefits ) to make such trips.
    Do universities take financial background into consideration?
    again, not making an excuse just asking a question

ReputationRep:
    Also, is LA vets vital too?
    apologies he questions keep flooding after i press submit

ReputationRep:
    Try city farms such as Mudchute farm - I believe Mudchute is lambing (albeit in small numbers), and they have farm animals you can volunteer with, you do really need at least some large animal work experience. Good luck!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by boldyjim)
    I'm not going to plaster this with any grades or placement lists, I just simply have some questions which I would really appreciate answered as im applying first time this upcoming october, with nottingham being my first choice and a dream to get in there:
    Don't place your hopes all on one University - this is a lot of pressure on yourself. My first choice when I applied was NOT Liverpool but now that I am here I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. At the end of the day you will love wherever you go and ultimately all are very good vet schools with strengths and weaknesses

Does lambing work experience being missing matter that much? Havent done calving or lambing as I've been busy this easter, and did not think it to be vital
    No, it's not vital BUT you DO need some large animal work experience - this is a must.

When does prior work experience expire?
    I have done a work experience which may become 23 months old when i apply, dont plan on applying for RVC which state an 18 month period where wex is valid, so what do other uni's say?
    Does doing work experience near application dates affect chances? I've booked up my entire summer week after week with wex, does this last minute wex bring me down
    Anyone who is at nottingham currently, Is there anything they would like to see in particular?
    If you do work experience up until you have to submit work experience forms, your recent stuff will definitely count!
    Not all unis state when work exp will expire - don't know about Notts.

(Original post by boldyjim)
    Also, I intend to complete the minimum weeks and more, yet was wondering if my extenuating circumstance could cover for me not attending lambing;
    Please respect my openness here, it is not an excuse but a truth, living in london and not having a financial support ( family receiving benefits ) to make such trips.
    Do universities take financial background into consideration?
    again, not making an excuse just asking a question
    People in London get farm work experience so this isn't an excuse. People who live in the countryside may struggle a lot to get to small animal vets too if they live in the middle of nowhere so not everyone has everything on their doorstep. I could not find a lambing placement near me so I took the train to a station close to the farm I was staying at. The farmer picked me up from the station and provided me with 3 meals a day and lived in their house for FREE in return for labour. I even got paid at the end of my stay for my hard work. Other farmers have offered me to stay in one of their caravans etc. and other times I;ve had to stay with family friends in a different area to access placements away from where I was living. You need to go the extra mile because other applicant (from cities) do so as well.

Your financial situation cannot excuse you from doing work experience I'm afraid. Having surgery/medical reasons would count as an extenuating circumstance but the unis do NOT ask for your financial background so don't take this into consideration. Yes some people get financial support for doing placements from parents but not everyone does. I personally had to get a job to pay to get to placements - without it I would not be at vet school now. I had to use public transport and walk for miles because my parents could not drive me to placements either. My job also supported me with getting the train to interviews which was not cheap.

Good luck. I know it's not easy but you need to work hard and hopefully it'll pay off in the end!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.