Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student coming over later this year but undecided whether it will be better to live on or off campus..

On one hand it may be easier to make friends and meet people, on the other if you get stuck with bad people, little to no independence, and most of those on campus are 18 year old first years (which I'm not)..

Any suggestions would help

ReputationRep:
    100% on campus, especially in your first year. It really is how to mingle and meet people and really experience uni life.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Heya, which uni(s) is this for? You may benefit more from uni-specific information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Heya, which uni(s) is this for? You may benefit more from uni-specific information
    Bangor in wales

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think that there will be little to no independence?

In the UK, all university students are treated as adults. The university is not going to be mollycoddling you, they will not intervene in your behaviour unless it's illegal (eg drug dealing) or is having a significant impact on others around you (eg noise complaints), and they won't be checking up on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephanienicole1)
    I'm an international student coming over later this year but undecided whether it will be better to live on or off campus..

On one hand it may be easier to make friends and meet people, on the other if you get stuck with bad people, little to no independence, and most of those on campus are 18 year old first years (which I'm not)..

I have friends who are international students and they live on campus even put on the same floor for accommodation. I go to Newman University and even living away from campus I have a lot of independance as I have learned many skills like budgeting, managing work and uni. I study business and in my first year. I'm 20 and half my class is older than me as I have other friends in other subjects who are all older. At uni there are people from all ages and backgrounds not just 18 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephanienicole1)

In general stay on campus. To address your concerns: if you get stuck with bad people you can ask to transfer, you still get absolute freedom, and 99 times out of 100 you will be put with people in a similar situation to you so if you're a postgrad you will be put with other postgrads.

You may also want to consider private student accommodation, from what I've seen that is the norm for international postgrads as you get a similar experience and better housing for cheaper, at least at my uni.

ReputationRep:
    Stay on campus - I can't imagine how you'd go about doing social stuff like clubbing, going to balls etc if you don't have hall mates. You can have friends if you're off campus but you're likely to be less involved in social activities.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the university-not all universities have campuses. You might be better off at a city university if you don't like the insular campus bubble

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.