Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Me, I drive differently at night than I do in the day.

I'm always more conscious of using up less fuel, and driving carefully and being conscious of other road users in things like indicating to pull out across parked cars and stuff like that that seems to be lost after people pass their test.

But I also work with a lot of people in the US and Canada, which means on large projects I end up being awake from around 4pm to 7am. So, half my driving ends up being in the silent hours of the early morning. I find myself probably driving a little slower at these times, and more concerned with what's towards the side of the car, than what's in front of me. I tend to drive with full beams on pretty much all the time unless there's another vehicle coming or I'm in a town centre.

And sometimes I just get the sudden urge to pull over and just be "in the moment" for a while. So I do. Spend 5, 10 minutes just at the side of the road on a rest stop listening to Radio 4 or something and watching all the wildlife. Would never do that in the day for some reason.

Do you find that you have two different "styles" of driving, depending on day or night? Or are you just consistent throughout?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Me, I drive differently at night than I do in the day.

I'm always more conscious of using up less fuel, and driving carefully and being conscious of other road users in things like indicating to pull out across parked cars and stuff like that that seems to be lost after people pass their test.

But I also work with a lot of people in the US and Canada, which means on large projects I end up being awake from around 4pm to 7am. So, half my driving ends up being in the silent hours of the early morning. I find myself probably driving a little slower at these times, and more concerned with what's towards the side of the car, than what's in front of me. I tend to drive with full beams on pretty much all the time unless there's another vehicle coming or I'm in a town centre.

And sometimes I just get the sudden urge to pull over and just be "in the moment" for a while. So I do. Spend 5, 10 minutes just at the side of the road on a rest stop listening to Radio 4 or something and watching all the wildlife. Would never do that in the day for some reason.

Do you find that you have two different "styles" of driving, depending on day or night? Or are you just consistent throughout?
    Erm, I haven't really ever thought about it, but for sure, I definitely prefer driving in the night. It's usually more calming and peaceful for me, and I will often go for a drive when I can't sleep, as it helps me relax... I must admit that there are times at night when it's a long clear road, where I'll absolutely bomb it, whereas I probably wouldn't during the day! I suppose I am more conscious about my use of lights, and dipping them, because it's very inconsiderate to other road users if you don't dip your lights etc, and it's harder to see whether a car is turning off or not without indicator... But I use indicator all the time during the day anyway :dontknow:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.